• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old school SDRAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I'm putting together an old P-III 600 system. A co-worker bought it from another co-worker super cheap knowing something was wrong. It has 2X128 megs of generic RAM and one module tested bad with memtest.

I scrounged around in my junk box and found another 128 meg stick that tested good, one 256 meg stick that tested bad, and a pair of matching 128 meg PC133 sticks that just give a long beep and won't boot (tried them together and each separately).

I vaguely remember the two matching sticks might of came out of an AMD T-bird system. My question is: was there SDRAM optimized for AMD that might not work in Intel systems? I sort of remember something like that... low vs. high density or something like that?

Your system's motherboard must accept 512MB in each memory slot in order for 'High Density 32Mbit' modules to work properly. If your system/motherboard does not support 'High Density' SDRAM these modules will only be read as a smaller size or will not read at all. The 'Low Density' modules are built using 16Mbit DRAM technology, this type of module is generally compatible with a wider range of systems. In any case, you are advised to check your motherboard/system documentation for support information.

Well, I found this info using a google search.

HIGH DENSITY MEMORY IS ONLY FOR MODERN SYSTEMS THAT CAN TAKE 1.5GB OR MORE TOTAL SYSTEM MEMORY. IF YOU HAVE A PENTIUM II OR PENTIUM III MOTHERBOARD THIS IS NOT THE MODULE FOR YOU. IT WILL NOT WORK. DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM UNLESS YOU HAVE CONFIRMED THAT YOUR SYSTEM CAN READ 1.5 GIGABYTE OR MORE TOTAL MEMORY.
PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS INFORMATION

More info that I found.

So, the two matching sticks of PC133 that I have that don't work in the P-III system I'm working with might be high density? How can I check to see if this is true?

batboy said:
I'm putting together an old P-III 600 system. A co-worker bought it from another co-worker super cheap knowing something was wrong. It has 2X128 megs of generic RAM and one module tested bad with memtest.

I scrounged around in my junk box and found another 128 meg stick that tested good, one 256 meg stick that tested bad, and a pair of matching 128 meg PC133 sticks that just give a long beep and won't boot (tried them together and each separately).

I vaguely remember the two matching sticks might of came out of an AMD T-bird system. My question is: was there SDRAM optimized for AMD that might not work in Intel systems? I sort of remember something like that... low vs. high density or something like that?

as i recall the old bx chipsets would run on barbwire, the amd systems with their chipsets were much more picky . is it a via/intel or amd chipset??? cause (i might be wrong cause im gettin old) the hi density stuff didnt work real well with the amd (if i recall correctly)

Well, according to that one source, P-II and P-III systems don't work with high density RAM. This is confusing.

batboy said:
Well, according to that one source, P-II and P-III systems don't work with high density RAM. This is confusing.

i remember hi density didnt work well with one of the chipsets. i cant remember absolutely, but i think ur right about the intel chipset

flapperhead said:
i remember hi density didnt work well with one of the chipsets. i cant remember absolutely, but i think ur right about the intel chipset

good god, i just said amd b4 but i meant intel sorry...

Any AMD peeps remember what you used with a 1.4 T-Bird? Would that of used high density SDRAM?

Cool, this is finally making sense. I think the T-Bird was in an Apollo KT133 mobo (if I remember right).

batboy said:
Cool, this is finally making sense. I think the T-Bird was in an Apollo KT133 mobo (if I remember right).

ur right, the apollo pro 133/133a were for intel and the kt 133/133a were for the athlon. jeez it amazing how much i forgot...

Back