• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good reasons to run 5:4/3:2 instead of 1:1 for DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mczern

Registered
Good reasons to run 5:4/3:2 instead of 1:1 for DDR?

Is there any ill effects to running with a higher CPU frequency than your memory frequency? Other than at peak conditions you will be slowed down by the ram? My bandwidth right now is at around 4-5kmbs and I want to run with a higher CPU clock 3.0ghz compared to 3.3+ is there going to be any downside to running my FSB higher than the memory especially with games? or will I still see FPS/Raw power increase as long as the memory speed stays about what it has been? Thanks

The ram I have now does 2/2/2/5 @ 200 1:1 fine, but at 220FSB/176memory I have to run 2.5/2/2/5. Going to gradually raise the FSB as soon as I feel the CPU has burned in for that ammount and see how far I can get. Offtopic but my 6800U just came in woohoo :D

edit: Doing fine so far at 2/2/2/5 @180

Last edited:
2.75 atm, I think its set to 2.8 in bios though but the board undervolts it just like everything else. Im at 1.6vcore too and I think I'll go back down to the standard 1.55 to see if it helps with temps. Not doing too bad though atm, I'm at 235FSB/188memory and Doom3 and Planetside seem to run stable but I'll let Prime95 run for a bit. I've had this rig for months and I haven't done anything since now to overclock it even though its had my old watercooling setup since day 1. I feel like a kid on Christmas again because it's doing so well now :)

Back