• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does lead conduct electricity? and some other questions about quieting d4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeerHunter

Im sure it does. anyway.... What I want to do is melt about a 1 inch thick "cup" lead housing around my orginal laing D4 because it so loud. But what's going to happen is the wires sheath will melt too, anyway to prevent this? I've been looking for a powerful quiet pump and barrier loading seems the olny way I will achive this/

I guess another option is a lead box to house pump but then there is an air barrier between pump and box which may cause pump to get hot?

Third option is find a cylinder the same size as the pumps an make a housing around that then trasnfer to the pump. Problem here is there will be a small air gap too.

Hmm. Help.

Have you tried simple mass loading. Glue some big hunks of lead to the housing with rubber cement. heavier you make it, the lower the resonant frequency and the less noticable it'll be.

But I always forget what a quiet freak you are. Go out and fire off a couple thousand rounds from a high power rifle without wearing hearing protection. After that, deltas won't even phase you.

You could build an enclosure for the pump and then fill it with foam. If that was not enough you could enclose the enclosure with lead.

LOL, I shoot a 300 win mag usually for big game and a 12ga now that dove season is about to open and still have this noise problem:p Can't concentrate when I hear fans or whining.

Anyway, your idea I've thought of already, but rubber cement is a temp insulator and the pump may burn up? Worth a...shot.:)

i would buy a new pump that is quieter. the D4's are louder so if your after quiet get another instead of trying to dump lead into it.

Back