• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed a new motherboard. Now Win. XP Home wont boot all the way to windows.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

Just installed a new motherboard. Now Win. XP Home wont boot all the way to windows.

How do I fix this. I have tried repair but it only lets me go to the command prompt screen. I have tried fixboot but that didnt fix the problem. This is a computer that I built for the neighbors and the mobo's floppy controller quit working so I just bought them a new motherboard. I do not want to have to do a complete reformat and I have heard of some of you guys getting around this problem by running repair from the xp disc. Help please :confused: .

Is it the same model mobo? I think you are confused with the repair... you have to install as if a new installation. When It gets to your HD, it will find the previous XP install and then ask you if you want to repair it (which basically reinstalls the OS but leaves all other files and proggies alone) or perform a clean install.

Thanks, I just did figure that out. Now I am running into a problem since I dont have thier XP cd and tried using mine but it asked for the cd key and thier key wont work with my cd so I am going to have to start over again with thier cd. I can understand all of this pircacy protection, but boy does it cause problems sometimes. Also, to answer your question about if it was the same brand and model mobo..... no, it is a different brand of mobo.

The original XP installation had all the drivers and configs from that older mobo. It can't load up the correct drivers for the new mobo until you do either a fresh or repair installation. BTW are the versions the same? XPpro or Home, sp1 or not, full version, OEM, upgrade, etc. The keys aren't interchangeble between them. You can't install home over pro TTBOMK.

Back