• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

look at the new windows update site

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
it looks like microsoft has given windows update a face lift. i think that it looks pretty good. seems like they made an express update and a custom update option depending on the user's level of experience. i like how you can now hide updates that you do not want to install (those 1 year old nvidia drivers) ;)

what do you all think of the changes to windows update?

i think its pretty cool. esp the options that you mentioned with the express install. seen it for a while since i used SP2 beta. It is much more user friendly imo. it does everything smoother for me.

I like the look , but again it isn't that new to me .I have had a for several months , using the beta SP2 packs . in fact for a while you could have had SP1 and run this v5 windowsupdate without necessarily installing any other parts of SP2 .

Appearance wise, it looks less cartoonish and more serious, but that is the only aspect of it I do like. As for as functionality, I prefered the previous version better because what I am getting here is an option to automatically download and install all updates or an option to automatically download and install all critical updates. I don't want anything automatic. I want to be in control of what makes its way onto my machine. Does anyone remember the original version of msblaster? At the company I used to work for, most of the machines became infected with it because an icon in the system tray said windows updates have been downloaded and click here to install them. All the users in the company did that and in fact it was not windows updates. It was msblaster which infected virtually every machine in the company. The old windows update gave more options to select each item before it is even downloaded.

I noticed the new look the other day after reinstalling windows on one of my machines. I checked one of my other machines, and it was still using the old style. I wondered why some computers used the new format, and others used the old format. I thought it was strange. Both were XP Pro machines. I guess the new interface is alright, I still prefer the v4 one though.

I think it has something to do with automatic updates... I had the old format up until I read the thing about SP2 and turned it on, then all of the sudden I started getting the new screen

Oni said:
Looks like the same old Windows Update to me :)

come on, you could give them some effort for trying to help the not so computer litterate (sp?) out :)

i also liked the old style better....

and... does anyone know why it doesn't ahve sp2 under critical updates?

edit: i guess sp2 isn't out yet

It is out , but Microsoft will release it fully on WindowsUpdate soon. Currently if you have auotupdates turned on you will be a ble to download SP2 . Or ypou can just download it directly from Microsoft .

Oni said:
No no, I don't see the new style. I still see the V4 style.

do you still run windows 2000 oni? it seems like my win2k computers still show v4 and my xp computers show v5...

i've had auto updates on for a week just for this and I still haven't gotten it =(

Back