• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What memory? (Abit NF7-S, XP-M 2500+)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t_dub

What memory should I get for this setup?

A-bit NF7-S
Athlon XP-M 2500+
Radeon 9800pro

I hope to overclock to 220x10. I'm stuck on memory though. I'm thinking I might just get one 512 stick for now and then upgrade around xmas time to another and run as DDR instead of getting 2x256 which would cost me a lot to upgrade to a gig... Or would a gig be a huge performance gain? I use my comp for burning DVDs, d/l bit torrent, small web server, surfing, school, gaming (doom3) once I upgrade.

I plan on buying the rest from www.ncix.com so preferably memory that is available there. I was thinking either

OCZ 512MB PC3200 DDR400 CAS2 3-3-6 184PIN W/ COPPER HEAT SPREADER
or
SAMSUNG 512MB PC3200 DDR400 184PIN OEM

Last edited:
I'd prefer something local in vancouver bc canada. I get almost all of my purchases at www.ncix.com and some at www.atic.ca but I'm open to ordering something else online. Preferably a canadian site still. I dunno how many ppl on the board are canadian...

Last edited:
Now I'm debating whether to get 2x256 instead. How much of a performance gain would I get from that? I'm also unsure about upgrading later. Because I could use the 2 256 dimms in slots 2 and 3 and then a 512 in slot 1 and it would perform almost the same as 2x512 right... But according to their site using 3 slots the NF7-S only supports DDR 333. Anyone know if that's true? I know that means that it's only guaranteed for that but does anyone have first-hand knowledge?

I was not aware of that DDR333 limitation with 3 sticks. Can you link to where it has that on their site? Meanwhile, I'll go check my manual (if I can find it).

By the way, there are a bunch of Canadian guys that hang around here. I understand that it is costly to buy stuff from the States when you live in Canada due to shipping and import duties, provided you can even find a place that will ship to you.

Not true, thats all they will gaurntee. Personally I prefer to use Hynix chips on NF7s. They are both versitile, fast and cheap.

Despite the fact that every OEM uses it, they pack a heafty punch. Hence my sig.

I'd have to agree with Sen. Hynix is cheap and can overclock past 300 dollar ram. I had a 512 pc2700 stick of Hynix and had it running memtest and prime stable up to 235 and it would boot into Windows at 255 at 3-4-4-11 with 2.9V It was awesome ram for 60 bucks. This OCZ EB that I have is fast and overclocks fairly well for one gig in DC, but for the price, go with Hynix or Micron chips. Speaking of which. Sen, what happened to your mT stick. I see you went back to Hynix. I thought you loved that Micron stick.

The 3 dimm limitation is on the older NF7 Boards. (actually I think it was the older Nforce controllers..)

If you have a newer NF7 board (400mhz FSB supported) you can use 3 dimms at that speed.

I went back with Hynix. I got tired of all the issues mT has with AXP. Besides I didnt lose any performance as you can see :sn:

has someone tested adata vitesta ddr500? afaik they are hyninx chips, so they should do well with the nf7!?

Suma said:
A-Data's PC4K is using Hynix's D43 and D5, AFAIK.

For what its worth, I spoke with Randy at Komusa today and he stated during the conversation that the Adata PC4000 used the Hynix chips.

i have pretty much the exact same setup as u
im using a single stick of 512 pc3200 ocz cl2 rev2 and im running my fsb at 240x11 stock cooling on northbridge but vdd at 1.7v and vdimm at 2.9v in bios
using a modded D25 bios with cpc on (sorry i forgot exact name im not currently at my home comp)
mem timings are 3-3-3-6
ocz are very good overclockers especially their low latency platinum series
and considering the stick i have has default timings of 2-3-3-6 for ddr400 doing ddr 480 at 3-3-3-6 is not bad at all

www.beyondoc.com

How can I find out what RAM has what Chips? Anyone know if there's a table somewhere that breaks it down on some site. Or could anyone here make a rought one?

Back