• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

squeaky dremel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

Anyone had problems with their dremels getting squeaky? are you supposed to lub these things?

vonkaar said:
Water Cooling?

But no... my dremel has lasted about 410 years and it doesn't squeak.
Do you see a Tools forum? The only reason i bought this this was to build my WC setup ;) Anyhow, contradicting msg's from dremel.com

Lube?

and then in the owners manual PG 13: Flexible shaft lubrication.

mine squeakes...got it maybe 2 years ago, its been squeaking for ovr a year.
only squaeaks at extreemely slow levels, like hwne i turn it myself...

at the lowest rpm it squeaks a bit too...but it also has a hard time moving.

Lubing it will help it for a day or so, butthen ot goes back...i just ignore it and hope for the best.
I think i may have gotten way too many shards of metal inside it.

Froz said:
Do you see a Tools forum? The only reason i bought this this was to build my WC setup ;) Anyhow, contradicting msg's from dremel.com

Lube?

and then in the owners manual PG 13: Flexible shaft lubrication.

nevermind, flexible shaft is something else.

Como said:

Lubing it will help it for a day or so, butthen ot goes back...i just ignore it and hope for the best.
I killed my first dremel like that I think. I was cutting out the bottom of my case and it got real hot, few squeaks, and locked up. i got a replacment but I guess i'm just dremel shy now.

Como said:

how many times have you had to replace the brushes?

Try taking the outer case off and see if you have anything on your gears. Could have particles of stuff on them and will wear them out really fast.

DeViL_909 said:
Try taking the outer case off and see if you have anything on your gears. Could have particles of stuff on them and will wear them out really fast.

I don't see any notes about that in the manual or on the tool. think that voids the warranty?

Mine squeaked a little when I got it. Got it used. I took it apart and cleaned it. There are those adjustable stabalizers that you can screw in and out (just tightening a spring that pushes it against the rotor). Maybe those are too tight? After cleaning and reassembling its worked fine. And I abuse the heck out of that thing.

Or maybe someone cleaned it wrong. There is lube on some of the shaft, make sure thats not all gone. Maybe it was left in the rain then in a lot of heat?

In his defense... he's right, none of the forum headers describe a place to talk about tools... the seasoned forum members 'learn' that Alternative Modding is the place to talk about Dremels, but there isn't any reason to assume that a new member would know this. But... yeah... probably needs to move there.

My answer stands... I've used two different Dremel models and I've never heard a squeak.

I was trying not to reply so it'd move down but now I gotta. I reseated the brushes and the squeak is gone. To the folks who currently have a squeaky dremel. take the brushes out of both sides and then turn the shaft and see if it squeaks. if so it may possibly need lube, if no, then reseat/replace the brushes (they're supposed to be replaced at 1/8in").

Understand about Alternative Modding forum now. Apologies.

my brushes have needed a replacing for some time, they are nearing 1/16 now....i'm worried someday it will jolt and one will wedge itself in :p

i never throught that tehy may be the cause though, i asumed it was the bearings in the front.

And i've yet to clean it out...i'll have to spend some time givig it some care when i get my computer back together.

Back