• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memt86

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey all

I just dl'd memt86 but I am confused on how to write the bin file image to a floppy.

It came with a rawrite.exe file as well, which if I recall rightly is some sort of image file writer, but I am not sure what to do.

How to I get the bin file onto a floppy so I can use the floppy to boot the memt86 program and run it on my ram ?

I am in win xp pro by the way, the readme.txt only explains what to do as far as linux is conserned, using, "make" and, "make install".

Just click on the .exe file and it should write everything to the floppy that you need. If I remember correctly, there's a 'read me' file that gives instructions.

Welp, i tried that, plus I read that thread you linked to Reefa_Madness, and I followed what they explained to do and nothing happened.

The package comes with..

install.bat
rawrite.exe
memtest.bin
readme.txt

The readme doesnt explain what to do as far as windows goes.
Clicking the install.bat brings cmd.exe window up for not even a second.
clicked the rawrite.exe does same as above, cmd.exe window for not even a second.

I have checked the floppy drive and the floppy disk iinserted into it, both are fine and working ok. Flkoppy is formated also.

Even I though that either clicking the install.bat or the rawrite.exe would do as you explained it would, thats what I tried first of all before asking for help.
But it just doesnt work.
Also I have dl the latest version, and re-dl'd it twice just to be safe. Results are the same lol.

No idea whats wrong here lol.

I will admit, from reading above, that first impression is that it should be working, however, just to be sure, lets try again. Be more specific with the steps that you took, including where you have the downloaded file and the decompression of the zipped files, as you stated nothing about that. I'll give you a "top of the head" from what I remember, and you compare and let us know what steps you took and what did or did not happen.

After downloading zipped file, decompress to a temp directory. From W/Explorer, for example, initiate the "install" process by clicking on that file. This should open the "DOS" window (I know that is not what it is, but I'm too darn old to change my ways about some things), with text asking which drive you want to install the software on. Type in letter of floppy drive and hit enter, should start the process of installing onto the floppy, when done, close window. You should now have a working floppy. Reboot and it should go into Memtest instead of Windows.

I do not believe that if you attempt to explore the floppy that you will see anything, and I believe that is mentioned in the text file, as well.

Try this with fresh download, to eliminate anything. Make sure you are using the zipped file.

Post results (or none, as the case may be).

One additonal point, make sure in the system bios that "boot from floopy" is enabled and is set as primary boot device (first boot device), otherwise Windows will blow right past it.

Very good point about the bood sequence and easy to overlook.

There has to be something real simple being overlooked, because this should not be a difficult thing.

gigabit, heh you're suggestion of extracting the zipped folder with the files in it to the floppy first, worked 1st time heh.

Before I had opened the rar file, extracted it to a temp dir on 1 of my hd's and then tried to install the prog to my floppy, that didn't work

extracting the rar to the floppy straight away, then browsing into the floppy and clicking install.bat did the trick 1st time.

Thanks for help guys :)

No problem thats why i come here to help if can and to get help.Im Glad it worked i know thats how i had to do it to make my memory test floppy

Last edited:
Back