• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB cooling. passive or h2o

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mumrah

On my K7D master, is it worth it to watercool the NB? I dont o/c the memory much at all, mainly b/c i cant. I run the fsb at 140. Would a nice zalman passive cooler suffice? Or should i go water?

-David

=ACID RAIN= said:
Get a zalman with a slow fan (12v normal@5v) and you'll be good to go :)

Water won't matter one bit on the NB IMO.

Agreed. for his old K7D you could probably get away with a large passive heatsink. Seen a lot of people use that zalman large passive blue thing on MPX2 boards with higher OCs...

But in general it depends on what chipset you have. Many peoples 865/875 boards get reallllly hot and need really good cooling if you want to OC higher...

so wahta bout abit nf-7s? do those get real hot? I'd reather use that huge passive cooler, but if it means more steady voltages for my cpu I'd do anything!

more steady voltages are aquired by sinking your mofsets...this is about the northbridge...which transfers data between the cpu and the ram, and the video, and allot of other stuff too.

my nf7-s stays pretty cool as far as the NB is concearned, passive zalman, i believe.

cool, so the passicv is a go,

tell me about sinking the mosoft? or what ever that is. My home base forums xtremods.com , didn't know of any solutions, so Im very interested.

Mosfet's...

little black squares/rectangles near your socket, usually near multiple capacitors ( cylinder things). Usually hot to the touch.

Some people glue sinks to them, and one of the guys here make a custom wb for them.

The gains are arguable, but heatsinking them can't hurt. of course you'll want some air flow around them which is relatively uncommon in a water system.

Last edited:
ld it be the ones above the socket in theis picture, there are 6 of them right?

Attachments

• 13-170-114-04.jpg
    13-170-114-04.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 89
Back