• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Multiple Comps Off One Pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathwind

Right now I'm building a 3.2GHz LGA775 setup and a dual 1.6GHz Xeon setup, and I'm looking into the possibility of doing WC on both of them and possibly one more system. What I was thinking was to do the pump and heater core in an external enclosure, then run lines into each system in series (as from what I've read, going with T pipes to run them in parallel really wouldn't give better temps...feel free to correct me on this). I know I'd neet a lot of flow to pull it off, I was thinking an Eheim 1260 600GPH might be able to do the job.

Pros:
  • Easy to add/change systems
  • Less clutter inside the cases
  • Probably less expensive than cooling each system individually
Cons:
  • Single point of failure
  • Possibly higher temps due to running the water in series?

Any suggestions, comments, criticisms, links to articles of people doing just this, would be much appreciated. :thup:

Attachments

• wcsetup.png
    wcsetup.png
    6 KB · Views: 105
it's not the gph that is important in a closed system. It is the head pressure that counts. I think you may have better luck with an Iwaki.

I thought about doing this with my old folding farm. I was concentrating on cheap blocks that could fit in very small areas though (boards were mounting in something with less than 2U rack case).

Get low pressure drop blocks. The Maze4 would be good. They have very low pressure drops and are cheapt. The temp difference between each block probably wouldnt be more than 1-2c so I wouldnt worry about that. Just get the largest heatercore you can fit in that external box you want to build.

Id also do pumps in parrallel. That way you have redundancy so no more single point of failure and you'll get good head. Since its external might as well get some mag drive pumps and just use A/C... Maybe an Eheim, whatever you can get for a good deal IMO.

The 1260 is a dismal pump. You will need something with serious pressure, The Iwaki suggestion is a good one, specifically the MD-30RZ with 37 feet of head. You could also do multiple pumps in series such as the MCP650, say 3 of them.

jamesavery22 said:
Id also do pumps in parrallel. That way you have redundancy so no more single point of failure and you'll get good head.
I hope you meant SERIES. Parallel setups for pumps in watercooling is almost never beneficial. Parallel does NOT increase pressure at all, it increases MAX flowrate at 0 head, which we have no use for.

I have a Velocity T2 that I bought just for cooling multiple computers. I never built the system because I moved and had to concentrate on other things, but originally I had planned to use T connections for each computer because it makes maintenance easier. If you have to take one computer apart, you don't have to bring down all the computers. I was going to make a T system out of PVC tubing and ball valves so that I could shut off the water to one computer.

This is simple, however, I would keep the computers very close, if you use Maze 4 blocks, they have very little resistance and are quite cheap, then it would be like a system with 3 components, streatched over 10 feet of tubing,

adding a secound pump might be a good idea.

but beware Im a newb.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the Maze4's to start with, just because they're relatively inexpensive...good to know they'll work well with what I'm trying to do. Now to hunt down an Iwaki MD-30RZ... :D

jamesavery22 said:
That way you have redundancy so no more single point of failure and you'll get good head.

Sorry just couldnt help noticing that sentence...
:cool:

Back