• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86...how many errors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

envy

My computer has been giving BSODs very frequently for a few months now and i havent been able to locate the problem. I was lead to believe it was a device driver (which i still think it is) but someone on the forums told me to run memtest86..

I accidentally hit the reboot button at like set 8...but i think i had like 7or so errors by then...does that mean my RAM is faulty? Does healthy RAM give no errors at all?

You should be able to run memtest indefinitely without getting any errors on a functional system. Errors in memtest are usually the result of the chipset memory controller or the RAM itself.

so you reckon my BSODs are caused by my RAM then? Or chipset memory controller even.

Because im positive they started after I installed the driver for my USB Speedtouch ADSL modem and the system was 100% stable before that, ran benchies and everything, did video stuff, games, movies and it never crashed.
Everytime I get an error and the system recovers and i send the error report it tells me the error was caused by a device driver but windows is unable to determine which one...
Did the driver jack up my RAM ? :-/

Well is your ram overclocked at all?

If so attempt to loosen the timings or raise the ram voltage and try memtest again.

Remove the modem and test with Memtest. That will show if its the modem or not....How many errors do you get, and on what tests?

nope hasnt been touched at all. As soon as the comp was done I installed all the necessary stuff, including the drivers for the modem and bang the computer started these BSOD problems. So i tried to format but i was getting BSODs during the actual windows installation, i couldnt fix it, so i took it to my friend in the shop who did all the stress tests on it.
I got it home, tested it myself, no problems, installed things one by one, and im pretty sure it was the modem drivers that started it again. Now i wanna get it fixed at least temporarily so i can format without the same problems again.

So basically im thinking its some kind of RAM problem induced by these modem drivers? :temper:

Drivers will not cause RAM to go bad. Usually something is physically wrong with the RAM if it causes errors at default speed. Overclocking too far out of spec will cause errors, but that don't mean it's physically bad. Try Memtesting each stick of RAM by itself at default speed. I just helped a co-worker find a problem with their computer and it turned out to be one bad stick of RAM. Replaced it and "presto" no more problems.

alright cool i'll test them one by one in the morning then, and let you guys know what happens, thanks :)

Back