• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a Hard Drive Invisible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Well I want to make my secondary hard drive invisible to any users, all the time. If someone were to gain access to my computer, so via remote logon, I want nothing to be seen. I don't even want the hard drive to be seen. How would I go about doing this?

In XP just set securities to prevent viewing of the drive on any user other than yours and administrator. Also the system should have access to it if you set policies.

JT

Jtanczos said:
In XP just set securities to prevent viewing of the drive on any user other than yours and administrator. Also the system should have access to it if you set policies.

JT
The problem would be if they have remote control they are most likely the administrator so they have full control. I would switch the drive to dynamic and instead of a drive letter make it a file then hide the file in a deep part of the system (I think XP is the only one that can do that).

This was JUST on the screen savers (their damn rerun)...
It's a registry mod... go google for it. I won't dare touch their new site.. it's horrid.

Add the NoDrives DWORD value (this value defines local and network drive visibility for each logical drive on the computer. All drives will be visible as long as this value's data is set to 0) under the following Registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer

NoDrives - The DWORD Value is derived from the following...

The "NoDrives" value uses a 32-bit bitmask to define local and network drive access for each logical drive in the computer. The lower 26 bits of the 32-bit word correspond to drive letters A through Z. Following the table below, enter the decimal number corresponding to the drive(s) you want to hide as NoDrives value data. When you right-click on NoDrives and choose Modify, make sure you select Decimal base, not Hexadecimal...

A: 1, B: 2, C: 4, D: 8, E: 16, F: 32, G: 64, H: 128, I: 256, J: 512, K: 1024, L: 2048, M: 4096, N: 8192, O: 16384, P: 32768, Q: 65536, R: 131072, S: 262144, T: 524288, U: 1048576, V: 2097152, W: 4194304, X: 8388608, Y: 16777216, Z: 33554432, ALL: 67108863

For example to hide drive A and drive D, you would add 1 (A) + 8 (D) which means the Decimal value should be set to "9". To disable all the drives set the value to "67108863".

Last edited:
You could also use something like PGP disk, or drivecrypt and have the drive visable only when you mount it. This way even if someone logged in under your account they also would need to mount and pass into your other disk.

Back