• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Asap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moony349

I just tried switching from air cooling to water cooling (Exos). I hooked everything up correctly (I think, I've checked like 90 times and tried only using video card/ram/cpu etc.) My PC was working fine before the switch now when I power it on, the error LCD on the mobo reads FF which is what it always does, but the monitor isn't picking anything up. When I attach the cord from the monitor to the vid card, it goes into standby mode with a little yellow light, but when I unplug the monitor from the video card, the green light goes on, it's weird, I think it has something to do with that, any ideas???

make sure your vid card is seated properly, and if it is, then it may be the card.

that good ol'e 9700 may have bit the dust, or something may have happened if you put a block on it (not familiar with the exos)

does it power up, just minus the video?

actually I'm posting under a friend's acc, I don't have one here yet. I have a 9800 pro, and yes, the pc seems to post, I don't have any errors in the error LCD thing on the mobo, but I'm not getting anything to show up on the screen, it's almost like it's inverted. When I plug the monitor into the vid card, the light turns yellow like standby, when I unplug it goes green

is the card seated fully, that happened to me once, make sure you didn't break a pin off the monitor cable, and if all that checks out, the card may be dead, but wait for a more qualified opinion than my own

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm thanks sooo much, cross ur fingers, I just checked the monitor cable and it APPEARS, not confirmed yet, but that a pin is missing or broke, what happens if it's lodged in the viedo card?

i think that there is always a pin missing from the cable, but not certain, if it IS broke off in the card, then you are sol, but if it is supposed to be missing a pin then you are golden,

if that card is seated, then i say the card is toast, but don't quote me, i only watercool my CPU, not a GPU, and i've not fried one by water completely yet

ok well yea you were right, the pin was missing on purpose... ummm I just tested it with a diff video card and different monitor and the monitor isn't receiving a signal... I think my components are right it's gotta be something real dumb, any ideas?

make sure everything is plugged in right, take it out and do it again. maybe the cpu? check the pins on it one may be bent

nope everything seems to be plugged in correctly, it's just not sending any signal to the monitor

Do you have a different monitor you can hook up? Check to make sure that all the connections are pushed in all the way. If you have anouther system, check yoru card on it. Some people have crushed cores when watercooling the GPU. Look at the Slot itself and make sure it is cleaned out. Are you sure it is posting? You don't have a visual, so it could be something other than vid card. Make sure you ram is all the way in and that everything is getting power. When you installed the new watercooling system, what all did you unhook or take out of the case? Hopefully it is just something easy. Oh and one last question, at any point in time could water have gotton on your mobo or in the AGP slot? I know sometimes people have the idea that one drop can't hurt, but sometimes that one drop has a way of humbling people.

Both of mine monitors have all 15 pins in them.
I wold check to see if there any pins in vid-card if theirs as broken pin in it you sometimes can use a needle to remove it.

ok well on second look it doesn't seem to be posting... as soon as I turn the PC on, the Error LCD on the Mobo goes right to FF which is usually normal, however, when the PC is in full working order, it usually doesn't immediately turn on as FF it runs through several other combinations and finishes FF, also, there is a possibility a drop of water may have fell on something... :(

also, i attached a dif monitor and a different vid card and neither worked...
I really think the problem has something to do with the fact that when the monitor IS plugged into the PC, the monitor goes into standby, as soon as I unplug it, it turns green like it wants to turn on... that definately doesn't seem right. also I'm not sure why it is starting up and immediately saying FF in the error screen on the mobo

Last edited:
Well good news is that your monitor and vid card may be ok. Bad news is that it leaves the mobo to worry about. If you have removed your CPU and/or HS then I suggest making sure that you have in now way chipped or damaged the cpu. If you have taken it out, check the pins and the slot itself. Ok, most Mobos will hint at what is the problem by either beeping a code, or in some way giving a general hint as to what is wrong. Good news is that you are getting some mobo action. Bad news is that you aren't posting. Stupid question, but did you hook power up to the vid card (sorry have to ask, my friend forgot to do that once). Also the more you can do to tell us what you did to install your system the better. What parts have blocks, and what did you take out? It is also time to be very honest with any kind of problems you might have had with the water and its either spilling, leaking, or dripping in any way shape or form. You could try taking it all apart and giving it a alcohol spray down or bath. Also I am sure you changed the thermal paste on your CPU. If you used AS5 make sure that it has not rubbed on any part of the mobo or anything other than the heatspreader of the CPU. If it is touching anything else, it will cause a short and could lead to problems such as this. Keep trying things and keep posting.

yes... power is going to the vid card, I have the water cooling the CPU and the Vid Card GPU. I found a tiny leak and saw one drop of water roll down the side of my tubing, but I do not think that any water actually got on any of the hardware. I basically took apart my entire PC to watercool it. I didn't touch the CPU although I did reapply AS5 and made sure that nothing extra touches the chip... other than that I unplugged the hard drive floppy etc. I had a fan controller that I took out now that I switched to water. Ummm, that seems to be it. I have a 420 watt thermaltake purepower so i don't think it's my PSU.

arite well tmrw I'm gonna rip apart the whole PC and rebuild it from the ground up... ill let u know how it goes

i'd just try taking everything apart and puting it back together again, but be careful not to screw anything else up and look for what is wrong. a while ago i took my video card out and then put it back in and it wouldn't display anything on the monitor. don't know why, i tried taking it out and reseating it properly, making sure power was connected, monitor cable connected. it just wouldn't do anything(the fan on the card wouldn't turn on either. after a while i just left it alone for the night and then next morning, plugged it in and it worked.

Still don't have a clue, but might have a loose power connector or something

This might be a stupid question, but did you disable the cpu fan speed sensor in the bios? Or do you have a fan connected to the cpu header? If not the bios is detecting that there is no fan and in turn will not start the computer.

Back