• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/2" watercooling for 6800 cards (NON-dangerden)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosmic

The DD 6800 block is a sub par performer from what I've read. My wc system is already 1/2 ID hosing, so I can't go swiftech. What are my options? I'd really like something that's 1/2 id that can just bolt right on.

Yea, I read that post about it. The guy made a sweet ramsink, too. I have a thing against dangerden though. They steal designs.

You could use a swiftech mcw50 with barb adaptors.

mcw50-w1-2barb.jpg

Kosmic said:
Yea, I read that post about it. The guy made a sweet ramsink, too. I have a thing against dangerden though. They steal designs.
We think alike... Yeah just get the swifty and use adaptors.

I would, but I don't want the added restriction of the 3/8" ID inlet channels. I want to keep everything at 1/2" ID.

Kosmic said:
I would, but I don't want the added restriction of the 3/8" ID inlet channels. I want to keep everything at 1/2" ID.
Are you using 5/8" barbs on EVERYTHING? If not then the 3/8"ID restriction is already present... Anyway, it honestly won't hurt your flow that much by having a small section be 3/8".

LOL. I just called swiftech and Gabe convinced me that I wouldn't be losing any flow by just going with the barb adapters since the inside of any 1/2" barb shrinks things down anyway. Very persuasive guy, and his arguments made sense, so that's what I'll go with. Thanks for the feedback and nudging my thinking back to swiftech. :)

Yeah,

At first I fell in love with Swiftech (W/C noob here... ) and then people told me it wasn't the best and that it was "ok" for noobs..

Then I do my research and I find they have some of the best blocks and pumps.. :temper:

Gotta love em...

Yup, swiftech is great. People poopoo them because they don't do 1/2" ID tubing, but most of the experts in watercooling agree that 3/8" ID is ample. Gabe today referred to the 1/2" ID tubing as a garden hose. Still, I like my big old garden hose inside my computer. :)

I see swifty has a 120mm radiator kit with basically a black ice xtreme. They're always improving.

Kosmic said:
Yup, swiftech is great. People poopoo them because they don't do 1/2" ID tubing, but most of the experts in watercooling agree that 3/8" ID is ample. Gabe today referred to the 1/2" ID tubing as a garden hose. Still, I like my big old garden hose inside my computer. :)

I see swifty has a 120mm radiator kit with basically a black ice xtreme. They're always improving.
Even Cathar's hopping on the 3/8" bandwagon with the new storm water-blocks (Storm G4 proto-type in my avatar). He said that 1/2" would be unnecessary for his new bocks due to the high-pressure drop/low flow characteristics of the storm series.

Those polarflos look nice. Thanks for the link/pic. I might give them a try depending on how the swifty block does.

Your double-tall radiator and only cooling the northbridge/gpu will be the factor in your better gpu temps. You just worry about cooling that prommy compressor. :)

As for how it locks, it's locked away inside the case...I really don't care, but it will look just fine, and it'll match the cpu block.
tricknasty said:
kos be sure to post a pic and some temps of your waterblock. wanna see how they measure up. silverprop is gunna pwn u!

Back