• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want water cooling!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bboy_Jon

ummmm how much would it cost for an ok kit off newegg.com?

i have these 3 fish tank pump things, could i use em? (only showing 2)

PDC_0001.jpg

PDC_0002.jpg

both plug in to outlets would they be of any use? i wanna get water cooling because my fan wires are everywhere

Those pumps are for air, nice try

why spend money on an "ok" kit when near top of the line can be had for less than $150?

wire management is the answer to a tangle of fan wires, not watercooling.

your best value will be obtained reading these and other forums.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=321628
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=321805
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=321167
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=320679

see a trend?

the answers are there, you will learn more if you seek them yourself.

I dont have any clue about water cooling but I know one thing is that those are air pumps not water pumps which means you dont use those kind

Also he beat me ^

heh i was wondering where i would put the water haha

the thing is i cant really do much wire manage ment. The only thing to do would be to buy a sleeving kit, but i cant buy online (would heatshrink from radioshack work?)

i tried to put all my fan wires in the back side of my case (or the side thats covered) but the wires are too short and i need the cables else where. i cant really do much about em

is it hard to build a waterblock? what would i need to make one?

Erm, Jon, i know for a fact that building a waterblock would be extremely hard and takes lots of knowledge and a mill or skills with a drill press. Also, it costs more to build your own waterblock for the price of everything you would need to make it decent. If your gonna try w/c'n just save up 100 or so bucks and buy a whole bunch of parts.

I'm very sorry but I knew there was trouble when the pics loaded up and I hadn't read anything yet but saw a fish tank air pump. I laughed for a bit.. again, I'm sorry.

Bboy I'm ramping up to buy myself a watercooling kit and when it comes down to it, you need to be willing to save the money to get the decent setup; pump, tubing, radiator, waterblock. No skimping or you'll get what you paid for. $150 for a system is going to get you something pretty good going. You can certainly pay much much more but $150 is a great place to start.

heheh.. fish tank air pumps..

lol, i could save up money if i go get a jon (im 15 heh) but id need to ask my dad to buy online, or i can get my sisters card and pay her cash

Bboy_Jon said:
heh i was wondering where i would put the water haha

the thing is i cant really do much wire manage ment. The only thing to do would be to buy a sleeving kit, but i cant buy online (would heatshrink from radioshack work?)

i tried to put all my fan wires in the back side of my case (or the side thats covered) but the wires are too short and i need the cables else where. i cant really do much about em

then splice the wires to make them longer.

I'd say successful wire management is a prerequsite to watercooling.

well ya im probly gonna give up on watercooling, id still need fans wouldnt i?

right now i have 2 back fans for exhaust, then a side fan and a 120mm fan as intake, and then i have my cpu fan

im gonna try to tidy up my wires again once i get my round ide cables (the ones i made just arent cutting it)

which should i get? (from newegg) i want blue ones

shoul i get these http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-105-906&depa=0

the generic ones are a few cents cheaper but there outa stock

Agreed that the pumps are no good for H2O Cooling purposes ;), but an alternative opinion on cost and what is needed....

As water cooling has gained popularity a lot more products have become available at decent prices...and with better performance too. :)
But a decent home MADE system can still be done for very little money.

It takes a LOT more work both in research and actually fabricating blocks and such, and performance IS likely to be behind what is available commercially now, but it can be done. And it can still be quiet and have pretty good performance, I expect....;)

Of course, I have not done it myself either...but the information is out there.......
Heater cores can be had for very little at junk yards- even if it takes you 2 or 3 to find one that can be used (no leaks), you may be able to have one for less than $10 (price from a junkyard near me that said I could have one for that. No promises.)

Blocks that are quite simple can still perform acceptably- anyone remember the "Pop Can Block" ? Admittedly, performance is not at the level of a White Water or RBX (or other top blocks) but it works.

There are very cheap pumps available that can suffice, and there are used ones sold for short money sometimes as well. There is also Ebay.

If you REALLY want water cooling and have a little - to - nothing budget I would say that it might be done for as little as $60, total.

Cheap vinyl tubing, cheap fans, cardboard shroud, junkyard heater core, used/cheap pump and a home made block.

Would this be a system that would compare well with one made from top commercial products?
Not performance-wise, probably.

But you could have one that cost much less, works and take even more satisfaction knowing that you MADE the thing, instead of just assembling it. ;)

ya im gonna keep my 120mm fan, and my side fan (mostly for the lights haha)

im not giving up totally, im just giving it up for now i guess, i dont have the money (nor do i wanna work for it haha) plus im not sure if i would get that great of a decrease in temps and its not gonna let me oc more. Ill probly go water cooling for the next computer i build (in 5 years or somethin heh)

lol what radiator would i buy from autozone?

i would have the pump plugged into an outlet right? i wouldnt be able to put it into my psu?

any radiator you want, find one that fits your needs.

I'd start with a "heatercore", though

and pump can run off a wall outlet or the PSU, and can be turned on at teh same time as your computer with a relay if they are made for a wall outlet

I don't recomment that WB whoever linked to, tho

alumnium and copper are not a nice mix, and the thermal properties of alu are not good

well that is a warter pump but then you will need to make a reservoir for it, which can lead to leaks and cracks. Plus with a reservoir you will need to buy some barbs form home depot.

the water block you linked to bboy is out of stock, and discontinued.

green man, although that aluminum block is crappy its also cheap, however for the extra premium Maze 4s can be obtained for $36.

Back