• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 pump or 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shigo_Naito

Registered
i am going to be wcing dual 2400+ with NB and a 9800pro. this is what i am thinking:

res--pump--y--
dual120 rad--cpu1--NB--res
dual120 rad--cpu2--GPU--res

can the DD D4 do this? or should i get 2 and skip the y? or would i need a bigger pump

Shigo_Naito said:
i am going to be wcing dual 2400+ with NB and a 9800pro. this is what i am thinking:

res--pump--y--
dual120 rad--cpu1--NB--res
dual120 rad--cpu2--GPU--res

can the DD D4 do this? or should i get 2 and skip the y? or would i need a bigger pump

What cpu, nb, and gpu blocks are you using?

I would certaily go with two d4's or an iwaki 20rzt. one d4 will not perform well uder all those restrictions

CPU - swifttech 6000 3/8ID?(dont have the modle off hand)
NB- dont know yet might now use it, if it makes things run better
GPU - dont know yet thinking swifttech

em00guy said:
I would certaily go with two d4's or an iwaki 20rzt. one d4 will not perform well uder all those restrictions
And you base this on? One D4 will be fine. 2 would be better, more is always better :D But one will get the job done with no problems. Bag the wye altogether unless you are running 2 rads? If so, I'd run the rads in parallel with that setup which would require 2 wyes.

nikhsub1 said:
And you base this on? One D4 will be fine. 2 would be better, more is always better :D But one will get the job done with no problems. Bag the wye altogether unless you are running 2 rads? If so, I'd run the rads in parallel with that setup which would require 2 wyes.

I am running 2 Dual 120s, so are you saying i should just have the rad parallel and then put series the rest? I was under the imprision that having it split like i have it would help with the resistance?

So you think the D4 should be fine? I was hoping it would work, my backup pump would be the iwaki MD 20RZT but i cant find anyone that sells it.

AFAIK, dual cpu's usually do best in series - it depends though. A high pressure low flow pump would do best with series blocks, while a high flow low pressure pump would like parallel best. The water is wamed up just a few degrees from the first cpu [under normal circumstances], so you'll choose between twice the flow with warmer water or half the flow to both cpu's with cooler water to one of them.

Assuming you went with two pumps like the DD-D4, you'd have good enough flow [in a highly restrictive system] where having pumps & blocks in series and rads in parallel would work best IMO. I'd also suggest high-flow blocks, so that the change between intake temps for the two blocks stays lower. Just so I don't get ripped apart by the thermodynamics ppl, I'm basing that last statement off the fact that high-flow blocks are best uesd by extracting a bit less heat per CC of water but having much more CC's flowing through it.

Basicly, decide on the pump & blocks first, then you'll be able to better guess what'll be best.

If I were you, I would set up the system as follows:

PUMP (D4) -> YSPLITTER -> RADIATORS IN PARALLEL -> YCONNECTOR -> CPU1 -> CPU2 -> (NORTHBRIDGE ->) GPU

If I were you, I would also skip the Northbridge waterblock. With a duallie setup, watercooling your northbridge is overkill, and will simply make routing your circuit utterly nightmarish, and thoroughly unpleasant :-/. A good heatsink/fan on your Northbridge should be *more* than adequate. The addition of a Northbridge waterblock in there will make for some *extremely* tight bends, which won't be justified by the performance increase (if any - likely none).

The radiators in parallel will cut on the restriction a tad, while the radiators won't suffer too much from a decreased flow rate. Having the waterblocks in series allows them to benefit from your pump's high pressure.

It sounds like you have a capable and deliciously beefy setup planned out, all things considered, be sure to grace us with some pictures and results when you're done! :)

Listen to felinusz, he just gave the best advice for you setup IMO. If you want to run 2 pumps, just plumb them in series.

Back