• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Earthlink's Software, Grade A Crap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Syx

I've been having little problems here and there ever since I started using earthlink and their software a year ago. Mainly that when I start my computer and earthlink's totalaccess software loads, it uses 100% of my resources and freezes, restarting doesn't help, and if I terminate earthlink's software then svchost.exe will start using 100% of my resources, and if I terminate that then I won't have any internet and my computer will restart.
I was finally fed up with this and decided to uninstal it, which took about an hour, yes an hour. I'm debating whether or not I should reinstal their software(It's not bad and I love the popup blocker), but I'm trying to find out the real cause to this freezing problem.
It ALWAYS happens after my dad uses my computer, I don't know why, but I also somehow have spyware after he uses my computer, which I always have to get rid of. Does anybody know what's causing this?

You can install Googlebar which does a good job too as a substitute pop up blocker.

I too think that Earthlink software is a resource hog. And I think it would be best if you dump it.

Well now I know not to give Earthlink a try. I was looking for a replacement for MSN. Have you tried just making a dialer and accessing the internet that way. I do that with MSN when I dont want all of their software loaded and I just want a steady internet connection. All you need is your internet name and password and an access # and you should be able to use a dialer as long as Earthlink doesnt block that kind of connection.

Well I don't HAVE to use their software since I'm on Earthlink DSL, but It's nice to have because of the popup blocker and their email client(although I could just use outlook) It usually uses 5-20mb, as much as AIM and my memory is usually under 50% unless I'm playing a game. Their software is slim, easy to look at, but could use some fixing, their internet is pretty good also, except for me getting disconnect while it "updates the ip" but I guess that's just a part of having broadband with a dynamic address :rolleyes:

i dunno how they are now but back in the day when i had dial up earthlink was the fastest and very reliable. i never used the bloat software though, just for the hook up.

Yeah they have webbased and you can use outlook or any other email program.

Back