• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Components...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JudgeDredd

I've been looking around at Watercooling components for a couple of days, trying to decide what to do as far as parts. Here's a list I've made so far, suggestions would be helpful.

Waterblock: DTek Whitewater P4. This seems like the best choice at the moment, unless someone can specify otherwise.
Radiator: DTek Pro120 & Shroud
Pump(s): I've decided on the CSP 750 from DTek, but can't decide if I should get one or the dual setup.
Resevoir: Gonna go with a dual-bay floppy resevoir, FrozenCPU has one that has dual inlets, which should go well with the Whitewater and it's dual outlets.
Tubing: I had decided on the ClearFlex from DTek, but I remember seeing in another thread someone mentioned another brand/kind that was more flexable, anyone know which one that is?
Coolant: Thought I would invest in the Fluid XP from DTek, seems like cheap insurance. Feel free to convince me otherwise.
Diameter: I think I'm gonna go with the 3/8", heard that it doesn't make a big difference temperature wise.

-JD

Waterblock: I'm happy with my P4 WW, but if you ever want to use pelts, I dont think the WW can be used with a pelt. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Tubing: The other brand of tubing your talking about is most likely Tygon, which is more expensive.
Coolant: Fluid XP is pretty expensive if you plan to run straight Fluid XP. I suggest some distilled water. As long as you use hose clamps and leak test, and with a little luck, you shouldnt have a problem. Either way I would suggest hose clamps.
Good luck with your setup.

As for the cooling I would suggest just regular water and some additive like anti freeze. Fluid XP cools worse and cost allot more. Besides if you do watercooling right you shoudlnt have to worry about leaks.

I don't think I would ever add a peltier directly to the CPU. If anything, I do it water chiller style.

DTek carries the regular Tygon stuff as well but that wasn't what I was refering to. I found it on FrozenCPU and it's called PrimoFlex. They only had it in UV coated and I'd rather have clear.

Hose clamps are a given, I plan to have those. I liked the Fluid XP because of it's non-corrosive/non-algae forming properties. You think I could get close enough with just straight distilled and algaecide? Does anti-freeze have similar properties? (non-corrosive/non-algae forming?) You'd think anti-freeze added to distilled would hurt temps just as much as Fluid XP.

Thanks for the comments guys, keep em coming...

1.The white water is excellent choice
2. No comment on the pump ( I have a high flow pump)
3. The Res: nix it; unless you make your own, don't go with a bay res as they constantly come up in the forums as problems. I have a home -made res, but I recommend NO RES for you, only a T-Line.
4. I have Tygon but the bottom line is unless you have some super-tight bends, go with the Clear-flex.
5. Coolant: I use pure water only (reverse osmosis) but if you want to add something, be informed that there is a lot of misinformation on the forums about what and how much to add. For example, I came from the car world and was amazed at how many here think 25% or less(!) of antifreeze actually prevents corrosion ( 50% is the minimum usual for car buffs) Know also that adding anything will restrict your flow, make the fluid more sluggish, which is not good for cooling! So add stuff with extreme care.
6. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I am pretty new to water-cooling, and ask others what they think.

looks good, im planning on going with a very similar setup, interesting to see what people think :)

Back