• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paxmate Substitute... Seat Foam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

I was at walmart today and stumbled apon some seat foam... 4 2ft square sheets for $4. So here's what I did with it...

Attachments

• IM003771.JPG
    IM003771.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 131
LOL. It looks like more than there is... Anyway, when you're SOOOOO close to silence, you'll do ANYTHING to make your computer quieter... This may also be a severe reaction to the Tornado I owned a year ago... When you're exposed to so much noise 24/7 for 5 months, it does terrible things to your mind. So don't buy a tornado unless you want to go crazy like me.

Haha, My CPU temps have went up ~1c while my case temps have gone down ~2c!

wow...impressive.

so...are your hard drives in the 5.25 bays? i dont see them.

i'm also looking ot make my computer inaudible, but i'm far from close.
where did you say you saw this seat foam? i wonder if target has any...

Como said:
wow...impressive.

so...are your hard drives in the 5.25 bays? i dont see them.

i'm also looking ot make my computer inaudible, but i'm far from close.
where did you say you saw this seat foam? i wonder if target has any...
My harddrive is in the lower 5.25 bay with a P2 HS sitting on it. I saw the foam in the arts & crafts section in walmart.

BTW, If you want it to look better, Vinyl die it black.

:edit: Ok, the foam's 16x16, not 24x24...

Attachments

• IM003773.JPG
    IM003773.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 103
greenman100 said:
LOL

there's not enough room left in my case to do that

hahaha
Same here. I could probably squeeze some in certain areas, but I'd bever be able to muffle everything.

greenman100 said:
LOL

there's not enough room left in my case to do that

hahaha
I love my full-tower Cheiftec Matrix :D I switched over from a mid-tower aluminum skyhawk and I LOVE all the space this case has.

Awsome job on the foam. I do have one question though, How does it not cause parts to heat up? You would think covering them in foam would cause them to get warmer (especially the HD). Since your temps stayed really good, I may just take your lead and silence my beast of a comp :). Oh and yes, you can never do anything overkill, others just don't do things up to par with you.

DeViL_909 said:
Awsome job on the foam. I do have one question though, How does it not cause parts to heat up? You would think covering them in foam would cause them to get warmer (especially the HD). Since your temps stayed really good, I may just take your lead and silence my beast of a comp :). Oh and yes, you can never do anything overkill, others just don't do things up to par with you.
I have a P2 HS sitting on my HDD so it won't overheat. It's also using the drive bays as a HS, so the foam shouldn't affect it too much. Also, I have like zero airflow through my case (before and now), so it's going to affect you ALOT more than me. My case temp is reported as 39c, but that's wrong since if I open the case up, hot air doesn't blast me. However, my room is like 85f so it's HOT in here. My CPU temps are @ 52.5c load so that's not so bad considering my fan is just barely spinning. If I turn the fan up, the temps quickly drop to ~ 38c.

::edit:: Also remember my system started out near silent anyway, so the foam only lowers noise levels a little. Read a review on paxmate and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Overkill? What's that?

Last edited:
mmmm..full tower. i'm jelous. maybe i'll work on getting my regular tower back tonight....

oh nevermind, i'm busy. Argh.

foam...i really should...i should aoso suspend my hard drives and heatsink them. (i have heatsinks...a-lot of them!)

A lot fo that foam is flamible though, so watch yourself, i lines the bottom of my case (a higly unused area, which develups acousticle reaction) with some pink matress egg crate foam spray painted black. Looks real nice.

whoever said:
A lot fo that foam is flamible though, so watch yourself, i lines the bottom of my case (a higly unused area, which develups acousticle reaction) with some pink matress egg crate foam spray painted black. Looks real nice.
Well besides the fact nothing should ever get hot enough to ignite the foam, I believe this was "Safety foam" that is fire retardent. If it's not, they do sell sell the safety foam.

Como said:
mmmm..full tower. i'm jelous. maybe i'll work on getting my regular tower back tonight....

oh nevermind, i'm busy. Argh.

foam...i really should...i should aoso suspend my hard drives and heatsink them. (i have heatsinks...a-lot of them!)
I love my full-tower :D I had 2 HDD's, 2 CD's, a Bay-res, Fan-controller, WC'ing, and a 2 bay LCD in my mid tower.... Yet there were only 4 5.25" bays (I cut the 3.5" bays out to make room for my rad). Yeah, I had a hard drive taped to the fan-controller, a hard drive sitting on top of the rad, and the LCD was taped to the window. The bay-res sat loose next to the window until I later removed it.

BTW, I just bought the full-tower ~3 weeks ago :)

Back