• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what windows setting fixes this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalRW

How can I fix that setting I hate how it has those stupid little arrows and I have to click on them every time I want to see what is in my start menu. I just want it to display everything.

Assuming you're running Win98, copy the text below (between the hash marks), and paste it into Notepad. Save the file with a .reg extension, then merge it into your Registry (right-click the file and select "Merge", or just double-click it).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder\StartMenuScrollPrograms]
"Type"="checkbox"
"Text"="Multi-Column Start Menu Style"
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"ValueName"="StartMenuScrollPrograms"
"CheckedValue"="false"
"UncheckedValue"="true"
"DefaultValue"="true"
"HelpID"="update.hlp"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because of the way the forum formats paths...in the above, there should be no spaces between any of the letters in the following words:

Curr entVersion...should read CurrentVersion
StartMenuScrol lPrograms...should read StartMenuScrollPrograms
Expl orer...should read Explorer

After you've pasted the above in Notepad, edit the above words so they don't contain spaces...then save it.

If you need to revert back to the scrolling Programs menu, merge the following...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder\StartMenuScrollPrograms]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"StartMenuScrollPrograms"=-

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The same thing I noted above about the spaces applies to this edit as well. You'll need to reboot for the change to take effect.

Last edited:
On the other hand, if you are using Windows 2000, just right click on the taskbar, select "properties" then uncheck the box that says "use personalized menus".

Back