• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the Thermochill 120.3 fit in...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

envy

...the roof of a Chieftec Dragon fulltower? Anyone have this combo?
I would wanna run 6x120mm's in push/pull and hopefully have it up on the roof of the case. Im thinking i might have to set it up like this to fit though:

rad.bmp

yes, and no

will use up around 4 cdrom trays
rad need to be ontop, that will give you room for extra cdrom tray

will fit along top tho, just cdrom part could be hard, don't know how many cdrom/dvd or whatever you have ;)

if u want to put a fan on both sides, u might lack clearance for the fan on top of the psu. i believe there is only 2-3" of clearance.

Thx for the paint skillz praise :clap:

Im using 3 drive bays and wont need any more as far as i can see (Cooldrive 4, DVD/CD burner, DVD-Rom). The Psu has a pre-drilled space for an 80mm exhaust fan and about 3" above that too. I think it would fit..

The only thing im worried about is the width, with the edges of the drive bay rack that come in about 1/3" on each side, i dont know if the rad would fit between those...hard as it may seem to believe i dont have any measurement instruments at my house...i lost all my rulers somehow and i need to order this stuff fast.

Nikhsub i know you have one, i would have been interested to know where abouts you put yours but nvm.

Thanks for the help guys i'll just take the risk, im pretty sure it will fit :santa2:
I'll post some pics when its all done

Use the search.

That was about 5 minutes of work to dig that up. That's Marci's rig with the same case and the Thermochill 120.3. Look over his post and pictures to see what'll work.

-Fyberwire

Dont forget shrouds for that read. that will add another 2" to you sr setup.

em00guy said:
Dont forget shrouds for that read. that will add another 2" to you sr setup.
NO it wont, the Thermochills come with shrouds, not deep ones, but shrouds none the less.

ra3.jpg

nikhsub1 said:
NO it wont, the Thermochills come with shrouds, not deep ones, but shrouds none the less.

ra3.jpg

didn't know that. those are shallow. I wonder if that setracts from performance at all

Thanks Fyberwire, my bad i shoulda looked harder, and thanks for the pic Nikhsub :)

Im thinking i might have to run it with 5 fans...to get around the PSU with the tubing coming over the top of it (see link posted by Fyberwire). As far as i can see that guy only has 3 fans on his. Im goin for push/pull.
Would running wih 5 fans work? I suppose it would but ive never seen it done before..maybe its a big nono or something.

Nikhsub, are those Panaflos u have on there? Are they very loud? Or is it bearable? in ur opinion ofc

:thup:

envy said:
Nikhsub, are those Panaflos u have on there? Are they very loud? Or is it bearable? in ur opinion ofc

:thup:
No they are Sanyo Denki's, you can find them in the classifieds here in the cooling section, look at the sticky. They are awesome fans, about 102CFM at 39dBa but I have them on a fan controller but usually run them full. At $5 a pice you cant beat the price and they are quality fans, IMO better than the panaflo's they replaced.

It would be close, but I think it could be done if it were EXACTLY 17". I have the Chieftech Matrix (Dragon with a different front) and I was adding 16" square foam to the case. The foam fit almost perfectly, but there was about 3/4"-1/2" left on each side for the metal lip. You'd be cutting it VERY close trying to fit that core in this case.

Clearance

Korndog said:
if u want to put a fan on both sides, u might lack clearance for the fan on top of the psu. i believe there is only 2-3" of clearance.

Nope, the full tower has over 5 inches above the PSU........ I have this same case.

Back