• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official SP2 Bugs/Technical Issues Support Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
Rather than be a bad guy and point everyone's problems to the one huge SP2 thread, I'm starting to segment it up a little. Any problems or bugs that people have found can be posted here.

I apologise to the people who I just directed to that thread and closed theirs. I'm trying to keep the SP2 threads from overrunning this forum.

Hi People

I have a fresh install of Win XP Pro with SP2 intergrated. The install is fine and everything works the way it should. Only thing that is buggin me is views. In my large folders ie 50GB or higher the folder view is set to thumbnail but as soon as I change it to detailed view explorer crashes and the error comes saying it referenced 0x00000000 and memory could not be written. This only happens on the large folders as I tried almost all the folders I have on my PC and narrowed it down to just the 2. One has my MP3s which is : 40GB and my movies folder which sits @ 220GB. I can browse them in thumbnail view with no problems which is kind of strange.

Any tips? I prefer everything in detailed view, just one of tech head things I guess.

Thanks in advance.

I seem to be having a problem going to certain web pages in IE, after installing sp2, when I go to a site for example http://www.cognitivedistortion.com my IE browser just shuts down and closes, go figure. I didn't have this problem with RC2 also it happens using Firefox...maybe not sp2 related but it started happening here lately.

Delete your internet cache files and cookies and try again. I had that happen to me after updating SP1 to SP2.

Z

JenBell said:
Hi People

I have a fresh install of Win XP Pro with SP2 intergrated. The install is fine and everything works the way it should. Only thing that is buggin me is views. In my large folders ie 50GB or higher the folder view is set to thumbnail but as soon as I change it to detailed view explorer crashes and the error comes saying it referenced 0x00000000 and memory could not be written. This only happens on the large folders as I tried almost all the folders I have on my PC and narrowed it down to just the 2. One has my MP3s which is : 40GB and my movies folder which sits @ 220GB. I can browse them in thumbnail view with no problems which is kind of strange.

Any tips? I prefer everything in detailed view, just one of tech head things I guess.

Thanks in advance.
Divx ver. 5.2 causes just this type of problem with SP2. If you're running this software, uninstall and go back to using version 5.1. You could also try uninstalling Divx, turn off DEP (Data Execution Prevention) then reinstall Divx. For extra security, turn DEP back on and add into the exceptions list anything that uses Divx (ie media players, Divx itself).

I have done two fresh installs with the IT download and have noticed that it takes forever to shut down. I have been installing all my old progs and windows shuts down, memory goes idle and shows that light blue screen for like 10 seconds. At first I thought it was from the services I disabled, so I re-enabled them but I have the same issue. I am going to try an offline defrag see if that helps...

JenBell said:
Hi People

Thanks in advance.

Mine are fine in list mode, but they are not the drive that I have windows on. If you can try moving to a drive that does not have the windows install on it to see what happens.

cannot uninstall your video card to reinstall drivers it says it is a device needed to boot up the computer

Here's mine: Winxp HE SP2

-Damn documents folder keeps popping up on every start up
-I couldnt update Mcafee firewall coz IE keeps giving me errors
-I keep getting errors while browsing

My solution from IMOJ suggestions and everyonelse,
-Run Ad aware/Spy bot S&D/I uninstalled a program called Windows SA
-I used Ace Utilites to clean junk files/registry entries
-Rebooted and all is well

Sorry didnt see this thread JOT....I couldve put mine here:
My SP2 Bugs

Vfllux

Last edited:
i am trying to install sp2 on a dell dimension 2350. i have tried installing it 3 separate times. the first time, the firewall never started. when i click on the firewall in control panel, i get this message:
Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Would you like to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) sevice?
i click "yes" and then i get a message that says:
Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service

so i uninstalled and reinstalled sp2. the second and third times i installed the firewall issue was the same.

i've already checked for adware spyware and viruses, and the computer is clean. if anyone has any suggestions, id appreciate it.

EDIT: i had used msconfig to change the things that startup. aparantly sp2 didnt like that and thats why the firewall wouldnt startup. i set msconfig to startup normally and now it works fine.

Last edited:
cornbread said:
I seem to be having a problem going to certain web pages in IE, after installing sp2, when I go to a site for example http://www.cognitivedistortion.com my IE browser just shuts down and closes, go figure. I didn't have this problem with RC2 also it happens using Firefox...maybe not sp2 related but it started happening here lately.

Well I find out the problem, it was Java, I recently switched from Microsoft VM to Sun Java. After uninstalling Sun Java and reinstalling VM the problem has gone away, all web pages are working fine. :)

Not a SP2 problem at all.

This is not a problem per se, but when I tried to download opera browser from opera's site the "information bar" in IE popped up and said I shouldn't download opera (LOL). And again when I begun to install it I got a similar warning that it might not be safe.
This didn't happened with other software I've installed so far, but all these warnings are just one more ok to be clicked and they waste my time and patience. Is there any way to shut off the security center, I have appropriate virus and firewall software already installed and don't really need this security center to bug me.

Every time I open explorer to view a filesystem, explorer.exe's usage goes to 99% and the whole computer lags. This has been happening since the beginning, I just never pinpointed the strange lag till now. If I close that explorer window, usage goes back to 0% for explorer.exe.

I know I have read elsewhere about this happening to someone, but I cannot find the thread.

I did a fresh install of XP with SP2 slipstreamed. I went to install Norton 2003 Pro but I get an error. The same error I got when I tried installing it in SP1a. The solution then was to start the Terminal Service service. However, there is no Terminal Service service now. For now I am using other anti-virus, but I would like to go back to Norton. Maybe its time to upgrade to 2004.

A few things like MediaPlayer9 and MSN6.2 needed to reinstall automatically upon first use. But one big bugger is the fact OfficeXP needs to be reactivated again "due to significant changes to your core system". It askes for the OfficeXP CD and looks for a file that isn't on it?! %@$#@$!& So I ended up completely removing and re-installing Office, after which I cannoty directly open .pps files from within Outlook while the correct associations are there. However SP2 gave me 5 to7 FSB more! See my other post...

Back