• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Setup Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KidOtakon

Registered
I just got my order from FrozenCPU (everything intact thankfully). It consists of:

PolarFLO CPU / GPU Waterblocks
Swiftech MCP650 Pump
7' Tygon Tubing
DD Double Heatercore
Tundra Single Bay Res.

I was looking for input as to which case I should place them in....
The Xaser III Supertower or the Antec P160 .

My second question deals with additives. I also bought some WaterChill Anti-Algae fluid and WaterWetter. Is it OK to mix these two things with distilled water? Should I add some anti-freeze as well? I'll be sure to post pics of my rig once its done :p . Thanks a ton!

PS: Should I do a 'mock' attachment to get all my hose lengths down, attach everything, then run a 24 test? Or actually hook everything up and then test it for 24 hours with my system not plugged in?
-ko

You should probably put everything together in the case first to get your lengths, but dont put any fluid in it until you take it out and leak test it. I'm not saying anything about the additives. I just use antifreeze, a couple drops of chlorox, and distilled water. Then again my system has only been running four days.

KidOtakon said:
I just got my order from FrozenCPU (everything intact thankfully). It consists of:

PolarFLO CPU / GPU Waterblocks
Swiftech MCP650 Pump
7' Tygon Tubing
DD Double Heatercore
Tundra Single Bay Res.

I was looking for input as to which case I should place them in....
The Xaser III Supertower or the Antec P160 .

My second question deals with additives. I also bought some WaterChill Anti-Algae fluid and WaterWetter. Is it OK to mix these two things with distilled water? Should I add some anti-freeze as well? I'll be sure to post pics of my rig once its done :p . Thanks a ton!

PS: Should I do a 'mock' attachment to get all my hose lengths down, attach everything, then run a 24 test? Or actually hook everything up and then test it for 24 hours with my system not plugged in?
-ko
i have my setup in a xaser III supertower. but i seen to remember my case being a v2000, not v1000...not sure if there is a size difference.

here's a link to some pics, click on "my rig" on the bottom.

-clicky-

i think the double heater core might be too big for the xaser, unless you cut out the hdd rack. i have a dtek pro 120 that barely fits in the top. i had to say goodbye to the firewire/usb connections there until i get the motivation to add them in somewhere else.

i measured all the hose lengths out by actually attaching them with the mobo and gfx card installed, then i removed all of it and did a leak test.

Please Please do NOT go with Sephis's suggestion!!! Anti-freeze should NEVER be used in cooling solutions. It will ruin the solubility of the liquid and make it more difficult to tranfer heat. As for chlorox... i beleive it had another adverse effect on the metals in your system. Just find a nice additive thats supposed to be used for water-cooling. Sephis, take out the anti-freeze and see if theres an improvement in perforamnce. I bet you'll be surprised! ;)!

Cheers,
josh

I have removed the anti freeze, but I just use a few drops of chlorox to raise the ph of the water and prevent corrosion. I don't use more than a couple ml.

Anything you add will make water's heat transfer worse. Water has the best he transfer properties of any usable (for our purposes) liquid. Anything added to it will make it worse.

Antifreeze, depending on the type you use will prevent corrosion if you have different metals in your loop. A 10:1 water:antifreeze ratio will be fine for temps and corrosion. Adding a cap of water wetter will only improve against corrrosion and things growing in your system.

JBierm44, calm down and read my sig.

I'd leave the clorox out. Bleach is not a good in watercooling systems; lots of free electrons to corrode metal in the system.
As far as anti-freeze, JBierm44 is just a little bit right. Ignore what he says, but the truth is anti-freeze does hurt the thermal properties of water. Running pure water (especially if you have copper and aluminum) is almost certain corrosion. I actually run 20-25% "all-metal" prestone anti-freeze along with distilled water and have for most of the last year; no corrosion.

Here's a link to a 2 part article to help understand watercooling chemistry.
http://www.overclockers.com/articles993/
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1153/

Back