• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2-342 and cooling questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azianese

I was wondering if it was possible to fit the 2-342 horizontally across the top of the chieftec dragon mid tower. I kind of noticed that there was about 2 inches or something between the ps and the roof of the case but I didn't really factor in fans/shrouds and all of that.... Has anyone put a 2-342 across the top of their case?

Another thing I was wondering was if I set all of my fans to intake (2 80mm in back, 1 120mm in side behind motherboard, 1 120mm in bottom front) and then set the radiator fan at the top for exhaust would this yield better temperatures then just putting the radiator at the bottom front? This idea was taken from another post but I think they suggested not putting fans on the radiator at all.

yeah... also I was curious on whether or not having the order be
fan->shroud->radiator pushing air outside of the case
would be better than
radiator->shroud->fan pulling air outside of the case

Just a couple of things I was wondering before I decide to return this dtek procore before the warranty thing is up.

Id imagine that you want to pull air in because the air outside your case will be cooler. You will also get a more even distribution of air accross the fins. You may have enough clearence if you mount a shallow shroud.

Como and i were the ones debating using positive and negitive pressure to force air through a radiator. The only concern is properly sealing the case. Especially around optical bays

em00guy said:
Id imagine that you want to pull air in because the air outside your case will be cooler. You will also get a more even distribution of air accross the fins. You may have enough clearence if you mount a shallow shroud.

Como and i were the ones debating using positive and negitive pressure to force air through a radiator. The only concern is properly sealing the case. Especially around optical bays

Hmmm... Well I can only fit a 2-342 possibly on the top and I figured simply that hot air goes to the top and that 2 120mm fans would do well enough to exhaust all of the air out... but I guess that would just heat up the radiator or something.

azianese said:
Hmmm... Well I can only fit a 2-342 possibly on the top and I figured simply that hot air goes to the top and that 2 120mm fans would do well enough to exhaust all of the air out... but I guess that would just heat up the radiator or something.

That wouldn't really heat it up but a radiator is most effecient when there is a larger difference in between the temp of the air and the temp of the liquid. blowing warm case air through a rad decreases this difference (i believe folks around here call it deltaT). Thus decreasing the efficiancy of the radiator. I'm not sure how this will effect the pverclocability of the processor but if it does effect it it will be negative.

water cooled pcs don't have hot case temps like air cooling. all the hot component's heat are in the rad, so why blow the hot air from your cpu/gpu back onto them?

if you're putting the rad at the top and don't want two big ugly fans on top of your case than be prepared to sacrafice a couple of cdrom drives.

"Another thing I was wondering was if I set all of my fans to intake (2 80mm in back, 1 120mm in side behind motherboard, 1 120mm in bottom front) and then set the radiator fan at the top for exhaust would this yield better temperatures then just putting the radiator at the bottom front? This idea was taken from another post but I think they suggested not putting fans on the radiator at all."

woo, that was me...
if your watercooling your gpu and northbridge, basically pumping the air into the case or out of the case via the rad doesnt really matter, temps wont be too different.

i'm only watercooling my cpu at the moment, so i have to worry about my gpu and nb getting cool air...which is why i'm pumping air out.

well, I'm watercooling my cpu and gpu and I have one of those mcx-159 on my northbridge. Sooo.... basically I could have every fan possibly on intake and it would actually be better? or.... it wouldn't make a difference at all?

I guess I don't really care if I have "ugly fans" on the top... so I guess I'll try to fit a 2-342 along the top or atleast measure it out better...

So from what I hear it is about 11.5" X 6.125" X 2"?

yeah.... it seems that it is too long and it would be kind of hard to put the tubing on the barbs considering the drive cage and the PS would be in the way... But I suppose other cases aren't necessarily longer either so it can't be that bad.

well, what you can do is make the hole the size of the fins, and let the tanks reside inside the case, while the fins stick out the top.

if i'm not mistaken that would give enough clearance to put it over your psu, but putting a fan on it would be impossible. you'd have to rely on positive/negaive case pressure for airflow on it due to the psu..but it would stll have about an inch or so between the psu and the rads fins, so it shoudl be plenty for air.
Or jsut use it for clearnance for your top 5.15 bay...an inch can really help a-lot with situations like this.

i thought about doing the same thing but my tagan psu is a little to long and with the barbs at opisite ends i though it would be to difficult

em00guy said:
That wouldn't really heat it up but a radiator is most effecient when there is a larger difference in between the temp of the air and the temp of the liquid. blowing warm case air through a rad decreases this difference (i believe folks around here call it deltaT). Thus decreasing the efficiancy of the radiator. I'm not sure how this will effect the pverclocability of the processor but if it does effect it it will be negative.

dang kid

you are learning fast

props to you, a true example of how a newcomer to WC should be

greenman100 said:
dang kid

you are learning fast

props to you, a true example of how a newcomer to WC should be

Thanks, I joined on the 8th and i think i've read about 1000 posts since then trying to get my bearings. You've kinda been my personal guide. haha

Sorry azianese. *me hand you your thread back*

hmmm.... so there is little to no possiblity of me fitting the 2-342... and it doesn't matter whether or not where I put my radiator as long as I have air from outside going through correct?

pretty much, but its beter to go with the flow. i'm placing my rad near the bottom, but i'd rather have it up top because heat rises.
its going near the bottom for other reasons :)

crimedog said:
water cooled pcs don't have hot case temps like air cooling. all the hot component's heat are in the rad, so why blow the hot air from your cpu/gpu back onto them?

if you're putting the rad at the top and don't want two big ugly fans on top of your case than be prepared to sacrafice a couple of cdrom drives.
A lot of WC'd PC"s have hotter inside case temps then their air-cooled counterparts due to lack of airflow. This really only happens when someone's going for silence, like me.

Como said:
pretty much, but its beter to go with the flow. i'm placing my rad near the bottom, but i'd rather have it up top because heat rises.
its going near the bottom for other reasons :)
Como, think about it... You'll be pulling in hotter air at the top of the case no matter how you looks at it. Since you're trying to cool the rad off, you want to INCREASE the delta in temperatures between the coolant (hot) and the air (cold) inorder to cool the rad more effectively. Logically heat rises so the cold air will be on the ground, so that's where you want you're rad. You also want the rad to suck in the cool air, cool the rad down, then spit it back out into the case to cool other components.

Cyrix_2k said:
Como, think about it... You'll be pulling in hotter air at the top of the case no matter how you looks at it. Since you're trying to cool the rad off, you want to INCREASE the delta in temperatures between the coolant (hot) and the air (cold) inorder to cool the rad more effectively. Logically heat rises so the cold air will be on the ground, so that's where you want you're rad. You also want the rad to suck in the cool air, cool the rad down, then spit it back out into the case to cool other components.

will they ever learn?

Back