• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The old vanishing trick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Caretaker

Registered
I am running XP (yes I know) when i boot up the start bar appears but the quick launch is missing!
I then have to unlock the task bar and then start quick launch, then i have to go into it and select small icons!
:-/ this Cr@p happens every time i boot. Any help would be great thanks.

It's possible that the "Quick Launch" folder was deleted, and needs to recreated. Check to see if the "Quick Launch" folder resides at the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\"Your account name"\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

...if not, create a folder named "Quick Launch" under the above directory tree. Then under the "Directory" tab in "Taskbar and Start menu properties", make sure "Show Quick Launch" is checked under "Taskbar Appearance".

If the above checks out OK, give this a try...Start | Run | Type regedit and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer

With the Explorer Key highlighted, right click in the RH pane and select 'New-->DWORD Value' | Give the new DWORD the following name...

NoSaveSettings

...with a value of 0 (right click the DWORD you just created and select 'Modify' | In the 'Edit DWORD Value' window that opens, make sure that in the 'Value data' field...0 is shown as the value).

Last edited:
Back