• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for opinions on this memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2003ZYMach1

Registered
A-Data Memory

I realize this isn't Corsair $330 memory that most here recommend, but I am planning on getting an NF7-S and Mobile 2600 to run at 200 FSB x 12 for 2400MHZ. I can't see myself needing high $ super low latency memory. Realistically I spend most of my time in internet explorer or an occasional run of a game. The reviews posted seem to be encouraging and the posters even refer to it performing well in the NF7-S.

Last edited:
adata has a good rep in the hi speed memory arena, i havent tested their ddr400 but it is probably a reasonably good overclocker for the money.

I'm not really interested in running the memory past 200 (a sin here, I know). I realize this is an oc forum, but I figure this is the best place to find people who know what the hell they're talking about. I haven't tried to run any CPU or any other devices past their default since I had an old Celeron 366 running at 550 several years ago.

I don't actually own the board or CPU yet. Trying to find an upgrade path from my current 2400+, but not really interested in the A64 because nothing I use now or would use anytime in the next year or so would need 64 bit processing.

2003ZYMach1,

you may not ever overclock, but I'd recommend you try to find something within your budget that has the potential to be overclocked if you ever do decide to because your cpu/mobo has plenty of that potential.

I'd say think for the future and the possibility you may decide to do some overclocking, I myself am new to it but I can tell you it's pretty fun trying to get more out of the equipment you have and having success doing so.

Just dont cut yourself short on the RAM since you have the potential there with the other components

I understand what you are saying, but paying $250+ for memory is totally out of the question at this point. I may opt for the $14 higher Crucial memory I am seeing on newegg, but that is about as high as I'm willing to go. If I could drop $250-$300 on memory I would. I've thought of going back to 512 MB... but that seems lame.

Just yesterday I spoke with Randy Lo at Komusa about ram for the nForce2 boards, specifically. After going over the options, he suggested that the "house" brand PC3200, not the HyperRam, might be a good choice for someone on a budget. It uses the V-data (same as A-data) chips and is currently available for $138 for 2 x 512. He said it will OC to maybe 215-217 (PC3500 speeds), with (2.5/3)-3-4-4-8. The HyperRam PC3200 has spec timings of 2.5-3-3-6. It comes with a variety of chips and since it already has heatspreaders, he couldn't say what it currently ships with.

The A-data at newegg is $70 per stick, so its about the same. Same link as yours:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-211-119&DEPA=0

Since you are not interested in Overclocking, here is an option for you. The Buffalo Tech PC3200 will run 200-210 at 2.5-2-2-6/11 all day long and is available for around $80/512 stick at newegg. If you are not looking for serious OC, this would be a good one to have on your short list.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-150-617&DEPA=1

Last edited:
Reefa_Madness said:
Just yesterday I spoke with Randy Lo at Komusa about ram for the nForce2 boards, specifically. After going over the options, he suggested that the "house" brand PC3200, not the HyperRam, might be a good choice for someone on a budget. It uses the V-data (same as A-data) chips and is currently available for $138 for 2 x 512. He said it will OC to maybe 215-217 (PC3500 speeds), with (2.5/3)-3-4-4-8. The HyperRam PC3200 has spec timings of 2.5-3-3-6. It comes with a variety of chips and since it already has heatspreaders, he couldn't say what it currently ships with.

sounds like a good deal for 138.00..

Thanks for replying, it is nice to see people actually being helpful (unlike Linux forums).

All of this is theoretical at this point, I am just compiling a list of possible items. I've been looking at KT880 based boards in order to save a little on the board which may give me the room to get this Buffalo brand memory instead. If I can run it at 2.5-2-2-6 w/400FSB that would be great. I would hope that if I ran it at 2.5-3-3-6 it would give me some FSB flexibility if it was needed. Being on limited funds is frustrating indeed.

2003ZYMach1 said:
A-Data Memory

I realize this isn't Corsair $330 memory that most here recommend, but I am planning on getting an NF7-S and Mobile 2600 to run at 200 FSB x 12 for 2400MHZ. I can't see myself needing high $ super low latency memory. Realistically I spend most of my time in internet explorer or an occasional run of a game. The reviews posted seem to be encouraging and the posters even refer to it performing well in the NF7-S.

Just one more thought for you to keep in mind. Your system would be much better performing if you ran that same 2.4GHz, but at a lower multiplier and a higher fsb. You don't have to go with super low latency memory, if you can get a high enough fsb. The point is that you'll have increased bandwidth running with the higher fsb and lower multi over the lower fsb and higher multi option, therefore, your whole system will be operating faster.

By the way, here is a link to that Komusa "house" brand I mentioned in the prior post. They have a PC3500, but it is basically an overclocked PC3200.

http://www.komusa.com/1gbkit5pc40d4.html

My current memory is going to stop me there. It is all PC2100/266mhz cheapo memory from mwave.com

Also... this CPU is locked at 133x15

Thanks for the link btw, this site seems pretty reasonable. They are showing a PC3700/466 1G kit for $164.

Last edited:
2003ZYMach1 said:
Thanks for replying, it is nice to see people actually being helpful (unlike Linux forums).

All of this is theoretical at this point, I am just compiling a list of possible items. I've been looking at KT880 based boards in order to save a little on the board which may give me the room to get this Buffalo brand memory instead. If I can run it at 2.5-2-2-6 w/400FSB that would be great. I would hope that if I ran it at 2.5-3-3-6 it would give me some FSB flexibility if it was needed. Being on limited funds is frustrating indeed.

The NF7-S board has several features that make it a better choice, I believe. It is very easy to adjust the multipliers and if you are getting a mobile, this would be a BIG plus, don't ignore it. You're better off getting this board over the other choice, even if it means having to wait a little longer to save up the money that you will need for the ram. Another plus of this board is the audio is very good for integrated (Soundstorm) and the "Serillel" adapter allows you to use an IDE drive with the SATA controllers, providing you with more storage options. These are just a few of the pluses. It is also well priced these days at $85 currently at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-127-166&DEPA=0

If you decided not to go with the NF7, then consider this board for about $20 less. It will do nicely for you, I believe, but would not let you fully utilize the mobile.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-468&depa=1

I have kind of a thing against Abit because I seem to always get at least 1 dead board from them when upgrading. It's annoying as hell to get in a bunch of new parts and have a dead board.

Why would the Asus board limit my options with the mobile athlon?

2003ZYMach1 said:
I have kind of a thing against Abit because I seem to always get at least 1 dead board from them when upgrading. It's annoying as hell to get in a bunch of new parts and have a dead board.

Why would the Asus board limit my options with the mobile athlon?

So do you or do you not have a thing against the Abit? Didn't your thread start off by saying you were getting an NF7?

The Asus I linked above is the single-channel, not dual channel board and my understanding, from reading product reviews, is that it does not have quite all of the tweaking capabilities of the NF7. That was probably a better way of phrasing what I meant, than in my first attempt.

Reefa_Madness said:
So do you or do you not have a thing against the Abit? Didn't your thread start off by saying you were getting an NF7?

So far nothing is set in stone, everyone here recommends the NF7, but I looked at some KT880 boards and other NF2 Ultra 400 boards as well. Sorry if I seem confusing, just trying to figure out what I want. Seen so many CPUs, memory sticks and motherboards in the last few days that I am having nightmares about it.. lol

2003ZYMach1 said:
So far nothing is set in stone, everyone here recommends the NF7, but I looked at some KT880 boards and other NF2 Ultra 400 boards as well. Sorry if I seem confusing, just trying to figure out what I want. Seen so many CPUs, memory sticks and motherboards in the last few days that I am having nightmares about it.. lol
Since you seem to be undecided about the NF7-S even though most here are suggesting that very board, I recommend you visit some other forums as well and ask the same question.

I can almost garuantee your going to get the same answers about NF7-S :)

I myself was almost 100% sold on the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and almost went that route but after doing my research here and other forums and newegg customer reviews, I finally decided on the NF7-S v2 and I am glad I made the choice I did

Hopefully Abit's build quality has improved a bit over the last couple of years. If I end up with a dead board I will just exchange it until I get a working one....

Back