• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DangerDen DD 6800 Waterblock, how to prepare and should I use AS5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Funbags

Hey guys,

My waterblock just arrived from DangerDen.. the 6800 Waterblock.

I was wondering what I should do to prepare the block for use (clean it? lap it?)

Also it came with artic Silver ceramic, however I do have AS5. I know AS5 is better for the chip contact (correct?), should I also use it on the memory contacts?

Thanks guys

As long as you do not over apply the AS5 then you are fine. You can use it on the chips also. As for preparing the block, it is up to you on whether or not you lap it. I personally would say no, because unless you really spend time on it, you could possible make one part uneven with the other side and give you worse temps. Thats just my opinion though.

DeViL_909 said:
As long as you do not over apply the AS5 then you are fine. You can use it on the chips also. As for preparing the block, it is up to you on whether or not you lap it. I personally would say no, because unless you really spend time on it, you could possible make one part uneven with the other side and give you worse temps. Thats just my opinion though.

Ok cool... So like a nice thin layer?

I just put a little half grain of rice size on the middle of my gpu (wiggled around when seating) and used the creamique stuff that came with the block to put on the ram. Everything seem to be fine but idle temp did not seem to drop as I would have expected but the loaded temp dropped almost 20º C :) and o/c ability jumped as well. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Xception said:
I just put a little half grain of rice size on the middle of my gpu (wiggled around when seating) and used the creamique stuff that came with the block to put on the ram. Everything seem to be fine but idle temp did not seem to drop as I would have expected but the loaded temp dropped almost 20º C :) and o/c ability jumped as well. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Will do.. btw what is you PNY to stable? I have the same card

I have only tested it up to 420/1200. There is a guy on these forums with a PNY that has gotten 448 on his core after adding the NV-68 block. I think his core was 413 before. I am a little afraid to test above those speeds as it was a huge investment for me and besides 400/1100 runs everything just fine. I'm sure the day will come when I just gotta see how far she will go. I used the coolbits proggy and tested before the waterblock and it said it was good for 413/1130 but the video started jumping right after the test and I'm a little chicken to try it again.

Back