• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP memory leak??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evlich

Registered
My computer runs fine 99% of the time, but when I watch a movie or a video or something, the system goes insane. For instance, while watching a movie the Task Manager reports that explorer.exe starts using like 600+ Meg of RAM which is completely absurd. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what might be causing this. I would normally think that it is the player, but it isn't because it happens regardless of the player and it continues even after the player is closed, and it is reported as explorer.exe. Thank you very much.

:) cause you have more then 1 movie in 1 folder??? and windows trys to create a thumbnail view of the avi file... simple... happens on my machine too...

but 600MB... are you sure lol. open your player application and use file open to open the movie.
dont op3n windows exploerer

Is there a way to disable thumbnails for certain file extentions?

germanjulian said:
dont op3n windows exploerer

windows explorer isnt just my computer or when you open a folder, its needed to see your desktop and task bar. if you do ctrl alt delete and end the task explorer, your taskbar and desktop will disappear. you can restart it by going to new and browse to C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe.

i agree though it is odd that it does this. just open whatever media player you use and then go to file and browse for your movie and run it that way. if you need to, end explorer like i mentioned above, play your movie, and then restart explorer.

how often do you restart your computer? if you leave it up for a long time, programs tend to keep things they use in memory and it slowly uses it all up to the point where the system is forced to use page file which as you prolly know is much slower.

This is a jumpt that goes from like 5 meg to about 600+ very quickly. I watch it add like 5-20 Meg every time the task manager refreshes.

Back