• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new A-Data pc4200 & results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

Just got my 1GB set of A-Data's PC4200. As per Reefa_Madness' request, here's the picture of the chips it uses:

A-Data.JPG

I was asking about what ram to get for a new rig in this thread (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=321298) a week ago and this stuff seemed like the overwhelmingly best deal. So far, its doing well! I have it in my rig right now to test it, along with my IC7 and 2.4c. This ram has no problems running at 275fsb 1:1 at 2.8v- seems totally stable so far. This is the max OC I got with this cpu with 1GB of Buffalo PC3700 BH-5 at the 5:4 ratio.

I've gained some nice memory bandwith too, from ~6000 to ~6500.

What will be interesting to see is whether or not this new ram will let me attain a higher overclock...in the past I"ve tried improved cooling on the cpu and NB along with every tweak I could find with no improvements. I had narrowed it down to either a ram incompatibility (the "275fsb wall" is common with my mobo, its picky with ram) or my chip is all tapped out. I'll be finding out this afternoon/evening :)

I'm testing at 280fsb 1:1 right now...so far so good. Usually prime crashes within minutes at this speed with my old ram. I'm hoping for some luck here!

Heck, if I can get 284 I'd be super happy...I've been trying to get to 3.4ghz for a while now.

Well, I know now for absolutely sure that my OC is cpu limited.

Like I said above my A-Data ram will easily boot at 280fsb 1:1, but nothing I do can get it prime stable for more than 30 min.

I've run the vcore up to 1.6v, AGP voltage to 1.6, and disabled every onboard device, but prime fails each time, or my rig locks up. Those are the max volts that I want to juice my components with, especially for a relatively minor bump in speed.

I'm sure this ram would boot at higher speeds, but there's no point in finding out really. This ram is GREAT though, I'd recommend it to anyone- but you need a real golden chip to fully utilize its speed :p

The only thing I have left that I can tweak is possibly the ram timings...however I doubt it will run at much faster speeds than its current 3-8-4-4 while maintaining a high fsb.

Chaos_Being said:
I'm testing at 280fsb 1:1 right now...so far so good. Usually prime crashes within minutes at this speed with my old ram. I'm hoping for some luck here!

Heck, if I can get 284 I'd be super happy...I've been trying to get to 3.4ghz for a while now.

i have a real soft spot for the adata pc4200 from komusa. its the first really hi ocing memory that i owned. ill never forget when i first bought it last summer i was still used to my rdram mb and and when i got 290 outta it my eyeballs just jumped outta my head. 160 was a good oc for that board.. goodluck, u cant beat this memory..

My experience with A-Data has been very bad! :temper:

I bought A-Data DDR400 512MB to go with my MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR and Athlon 2700+, but as soon as the FSB was raised to 200MHz the RAM died. Funny how a DDR400 chip dies when the speed gets to 400. I even reset the BIOS, and still can't boot. Darn dead memory. I know it's the memory and not the proc, because my cd-rw/dvd/HDs all power up, and that is controlled by the proc. I also have a AeroCool 80mm "X-Raider" 27.6CFM fan that (while memory was working) kept my proc at 60C while under load and at 180/360MHz FSB.

Got an update with this memory.

Last night my PC rebooted itself while I was gaming. Naturally, my reaction was WTF!?, followed by some stress testing. I let 2xPrime and 3Dmark loop overnight, only to find both instances of prime crashed this morning :cry: I just put in my old Buffalo pc3700 at its old timings back in, and am really hoping that it was just the A-Data not liking 275fsb, and not my cpu degrading on me (which would really tick me off, as its been running stock volts its entire life other than very short tests at up to 1.6v)

I do sort of suspect the memory though, because my pc has seemed a tad more unstable since I installed it (random program crashes, mostly internet explorer.) I never really gave it a good 24hr stress.

Going to let it test while I"m gone today...will post results when I get home.

I hope it's not your RAM. The A-data is some sweet stuff. I have the Vitesta myself and it is smokin'. It's purely high fsb RAM, tightening the timings really kills it's overclockability. I have run my pc4000 at pc3200 speed with 2.5-3-3-7 totally stable. But the sweet part is running it 290 1:1 3D stable for benching. I keep it at 270 for 24/7 use.

:cool: A-DATA ROCKS! I used to be able to boot up at 299fsb 1:1 on my P4 setup and I could run stable at 295mhz. That was with the stock voltage! (Although raising the voltage didn't do anything.) Now I have it running in my new 939 A64 system and it rocks! I was a little worried that it wouldn't do so well with the Athlon 64 setup since it isn't made for tight timings but it still manged to score 6100 in Sandra which is pretty high for an Athlon 64 system. And that is only at 220mhz fsb, I have just begun to overclock. I can't really remember what my P4 setup was hitting in Sandra but it seems like it was around 10,000 or so. Damn I wish I could get that kind of bandwidth on the Athlon 64.

It is the ram. My PC has been priming for about 13 hours without a fail. I guess it just wasn't up to 275 fsb at the 2.8v I am limited to on my motherboard :eh?: So it looks like I'll be pairing it with the AI7 and 3.0c that I had initially planned on using it with. I should have plenty of overclocking ability using that combo, and the higher amounts of vdimm I"ll have available. Back to the old pc3700 and 5:4 ratio, its not like I gained a whopping amount of performance at 1:1 really anyways (only viewable in benchmarks.)

Or maybe my mobo just doesn't like this ram, *shrug*

My A-data crapped in my AI7, 263 was the max I could run it on that board. Dropped it in my IC7-G and it went right to 272 no problem (my 2.8C's max) and now 292 on the IS7 and 2.4C.

Back