• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird things happening after oc attempt :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey all

The OC'ing of my new CPU a Barton 2600+ goes well and the CPU is standing up to the test no problems :)
However I fear my Elixir 2700 DDR is not :(

Twice this happened as follows.

I stepped up the FSB two points from 185MHz to 187MHz and I lost my SATA maxtor drive :(

1st time it happened, I did the oc restarted my machine from bios booted ok, until I got to desktop and clicked, 'my computer' and saw that my SATA drive wasn't even there anymore, it had disappeared from the listing :(

So I put the OC back to 185 and things were fine.

Later I tried it again, this time the same thing happened as before, only when I put it back to 185MHz FSB and restarted again, the system did a file check on the SATA drive, and when I finally did get to desktop, I found out that 2 really large dir's on that drive had been turned to just, 'filename.file' with no clear file extention that windows could read.

Even the contents of the dir's in question read, '0mb' but inside, 'my computer' the space that they had used when they were fine, was still missing.
So, I was missing two correct names for 2 dir's, and the space they took up with what was inside them originaly.

Finally I had to keep my oc on the FSB at 185MHz and delete-re partition the SATA drive.

The drive is back up and running fine now and it is working as normal.

I am going to put this down to the ram not coping with the 186 and above oc.
I think it just corrupted the 2 dirs on that disk for whatever reason, I cant even remember now if I had them two dir's open or not after the 1st boot into the desktop running 186MHz oc on the FSB.

Anyways whatever it was, the SATA drive sure didn't like it.

Thinking about it though, it happened right after I upped the FSB 2 points, and both occasions, so it has to be the ram.

Anyone any ideas, anyone thinking I am right about the ram?

No, I can't see RAM having that big of an impact somehow...usually you'll get unstability, but RAM shouldn't cause SATA drives to disappear and whatnot. I would guess it has something to do with the motherboard. What SATA controller does that motherboard use?

johan851 said:
No, I can't see RAM having that big of an impact somehow...usually you'll get unstability, but RAM shouldn't cause SATA drives to disappear and whatnot. I would guess it has something to do with the motherboard. What SATA controller does that motherboard use?

johan is right many sata controllers dont cope with overclocking very well..

Probably the cause of the HDD data corruption is the PCI bus being overclocked!!!

Having a Via KT600 motherboard, no surprise, probably because of the lack of a PCI lock.

Last edited:
so what does that mean?

Does it mnean that even if I get 3300 ddr and have to up my fsb to 200MHz, that the dirve simply wont accept it??

How is that? and how can I check to see if it what you say it is, and if it's fixable??

johan851

in Device manager, the SCSI and RAID controllers are called...
A347SCSI SCSI CONTROLLER
VIA SERIAL ATA RAID Controller

I also got these tips from sisandra....

Notice 224 SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Tip 2546 Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity
Warning2543 Memory bus speed exceeds memory rated speed. Reduce memory bus speed.
Warning2545 Large memory modules, should be Registered/Buffered.
Warning2520 PCI bus speed is to high. Reduce FSB speed or FSB/PCI multiplier.

How do I go about doing Warniing2520 and Warning2545???

Thanks in advance for help :)

This is probably not going to make a big difference, if any, but have you checked for a newer BIOS release? I seem to recall something about the earlier NF7s (I know you don't have one, just using it as an example) having issues with the SATA controllers, which were addressed by later BIOS releases, so I was wondering if the same thing could possibly be taking place in your case. It would be nice (too much to hope for?) if something as simple as that could get things straighted out for you.

Back