• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What speed is EDO ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

As title really. I got some old parts and im thinking of banging together a router out of them. Just wondered what speed I should be setting the ram to on the mobo jumpers.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

As far as I can remember, EDO tended to be 60ns RAM, and FPM was 72ns.

I've run EDO at 83 MHz with the fastest timings on the motherboard with no problems. I've heard of people running it at 100 MHz with no problems. But this is with the later low density SIMMs, 64 megabytes each, three chips per side.

With older SIMMs with more chips per side, I've found you have to slow it down a little.

repo man11 said:
I've run EDO at 83 MHz with the fastest timings on the motherboard with no problems. I've heard of people running it at 100 MHz with no problems. But this is with the later low density SIMMs, 64 megabytes each, three chips per side.

With older SIMMs with more chips per side, I've found you have to slow it down a little.

Thing is back in the day things were async. Your chip might be at a 83FSB but EDO is still at it's own clock. That's what the S in SDRAM was for syncronous.

On the old Asus P55T2P4 I was using (which was EDO only), there is no way to run the RAM asynchronously from the FSB. You could change the RAM timings in the CMOS settings (NS, RAS, CAS), but the memory speed was locked in to the FSB. The only official bus speed on the motherboard was 66 MHz, and AFAIK that is the highest official speed for EDO memory.

Ah, the "good old days".
Another problem is your main memory. Will it be able to put up with 75 MHz? It most certainly will run just fine, in case you are using SDRAM. Should you be using EDO or FPM RAM however, you should try to get the fastest version of it. Literature claims that FPM, EDO and even BEDO are unable to run at anything more than 66 MHz. My visitors however contradict to that, as you can see in all of my surveys. I do believe my visitors more than any magazine or book, so obviously you ARE able to use FPM and EDO RAM at 75 MHz bus clock.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/19970703/index.html

On further reading, I think I understand what you were getting at Tebore.
Both DRAM and EDO DRAM have worked quite well at bus speeds of 66MHz and less. Many 486 class computers run with 33MHz buses while newer Pentiums use a 66MHz bus. However, the newest CPU's are being designed for bus speeds of 100MHz and up. Motherboards with these speeds will be appearing in quantity before mid-1998. Although, some high-end machines from Compaq, Dell, and Micron are already showing up with these faster buses and the Pentium II CPU. Neither DRAM nor EDO DRAM can work with these bus speeds above 66MHz. This is partly due to the asynchronous nature of the chips. They are independent of the system clock and move data only on command from the CPU. This results in wait states which slow data transmission. The solution to this problem is the Synchronous DRAM chip. This chip has a clock input which allows the system clock to coordinate memory functions. The SDRAM chip then cycles at a much faster speed because it is functioning in concert with the CPU. For example, in a chip with a 50 nanosecond access time, the second cycle time is 30ns for FPM DRAM, 20ns for EDO DRAM and 10ns for SDRAM. The ability to provide data in half the time is part of the advantage of the synchronous chips.
http://www.spcug.org/reviews/bl9709.htm

But, they are incorrect about EDO not being able to work with bus speeds over 66 MHz.

EDO is asynchronous & runs at 16MHz at the fastest (50ns). Of course you can interleave the memory which is like primitive dual channel memory.

As usual, once you start digging, you can get overwhelmed with information.

An attempt to compare SDRAM speeds to EDO.
To clarify, SDRAM access time is defined as access time in burst mode, from a certain clock edge (clock latency). Typical access times for PC-100 SDRAM is about 7 ns., but this does not mean that PC-100 SDRAM is 7 times faster than 50 ns. EDO DRAM. When we compare 7 ns. to 70 ns., we are obviously comparing apples to oranges. So as to have a fair comparison, we need to convert the SDRAM access time to random access time.

Let’s see how much faster PC-100 SDRAM is as compared to 50 ns. EDO DRAM. The tRCD for PC-100 SDRAM is typically 2 clock cycles which is 20 ns. Presuming a CAS (tCAC) latency of 2 and an access time of 7 ns., the random access time is 20 + 17 = 37 ns. So a PC-100 module is about as fast as a 40 ns. EDO module for random access. In burst mode however, PC-100 SDRAM is faster than a 40 ns. EDO DRAM.
http://www.dewassoc.com/performance/memory/memory_speeds.htm

I can tell you from experience that the real world difference, all else being equal, isn't that earth shattering.
My mom had a Asus P55T2P4 with a K6-2+ @ 500 MHz (6x83). I upgraded her to an Asus TXP4 which could use SDRAM. With all else the same, (I had 256 megs of SDRAM, vs 192 megs of EDO, so slightly more memory with the less old system) it was very hard to tell the difference. Only a small improvement in the benchmarks I ran.

I was a little disappointed; I was hoping for a bigger difference.

Back