• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you Watercool your chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I'm wondering how many people out there watercool their chipsets. I did once and after realizing that air cooling was just as efficient since heat from the CPU and GPU was getting dumped into the loop as well, thus preventing me from getting better temps where it really mattered the most=CPU/GPU. I'm thinking about running my CPU and GPU on seperate loops in my next rig. I really beleive that it's a lot more efficient to use watercooling in conjuction with air cooling. Since your watercooling the CPU or GPU or even both, your really keeping down your ambient tempature around your chipset anyway, since your transfering the heat to another location. Now that your ambient inside the case isn't so high you can take advantage of that fact by using it to cool a single component. What do you guys think the optimal setup is? Watercooling everything or watercooling on independant loops, or watercooling with air cooling? I don't think I'll ever go back to watercooling a chipset though.

P.S. The new DD 6800 blocks are a slap in the face to dangerden fans.

-Myhre

I don't watercool my GPU or my chipset. I agree with you, I think it adds unneeded heat to your watercooling loop.

I did once and after realizing that air cooling was just as efficient since heat from the CPU and GPU was getting dumped into the loop as well, thus preventing me from getting better temps where it really mattered the most=CPU/GPU.

I water cool my chipset to eliminate the fanned heatsink, and still get good cooling on it.

The added heat from a chipset is negligible... any temperature increases on your cpu/gpu when cooling the chipset is most likely due to the added flow restrictions, and not added heat.

if i could afford the waterblock, i would. my computer has locked up twice form NB overheating on my passive NB.

at the moment i have awkward case flow due to lack of a case, but once i get my case back the case flow will be VERY little due to watercooling of my CPU.

i may end up WCing my NB soon after i get my GPU WC'd.

I water cool my CPU, NB, and Video Card. And about your comment about the DD 6800 block. I don't know what you are trying to say by it, buy its an awsome block and it works very well.

-Alex-

cooling the nb is an option but it really wont help the masses. it should be reserved for people that want to OC with high FSB and there it will show a benifit ( very noticable depending on which board you use)
i have built a few custom servers that used nb and sb cooling ( 2 of them ) but the majority ( especialy in servers with no monitor hooked up) have no nb sb or vga cooling because it just isnt needed

I'm about to setup my first wc rig, and I have a P4 2.8C on an ABIT IC7-G and I'd like to o/c to at least 3.5. Will I need to cool my NB to get there?

On the couple of AMD boards I've had, the NB being cooled was not the problem; it was usually the board itself limiting the fsb. Thus, I've never felt the need to WC my NB; no use in complicating the plumbing

Back