• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willybeef

Im not sure where to put this !my friend brought a graphics card and fitted it himself, it comes up and recognises the card but when it boots to windows it says building up driver database and stays on 0% and crashes and i cant boot further unless i use safemode but then the drives are not connected so i can put the drivers on! i belive i need to reinstall windows (not format) is this true ? if so how do i go about doing this ? thanks,
chris

yes, it boots up fine , its just when i click add drivers windows locks up, when i boot windows normal it asks for the drivers and crashes so im lost !

what card are you using, what I would do is get the latest card drivers (probably ATI catalyst or Nvidia drivers) and install those in safe mode without letting windows try to do it itself

thats what i thought but when i try to install (safe mode does not see the cd drives) and the drivers are 14mb

david said install windows again , but my dad said you have to format if u boot from dos disks ! does anybody know how i can reinstall windows , i know im ment to boot from cd but when i try this it loads up windows anyway , i think its a case of formatting to be honest i think its a corrupt windows installation because it crashes at driver screen

my guess is that windows is being ghey on you. you might want to reformat, but that maybe one of those worse case scenario type deals. that seems really weird. well either way good luck and i hope that helps ya :)

Put in your Windows ME disk and browse to it and select Setup.exe, this will allow you to reinstall windows over the top of itself without actually changing anything. Put your old video card in first. Once you have reinstalled your OS go to the website for the Video Card and make sure it works with Windows ME. Also ME and 98 had problems like this since the beginning, it is usually a kernel problem that also makes your Explorer and IExplorer crash. This means you have to reinstall over the old OS or simply reformat reinstall. Try to install over the existing one first though because it keeps all your programs and preferences. In Win 98, not sure about ME since I never used after I beta tested SR5, you would go to Run then type in SFC to replace certain files.

its just when i click add drivers windows locks up, when i boot windows normal it asks for the drivers and crashes so im lost !

When you say
boot windows normal
, do you mean that you are able to run it in normal (not safe) mode? If so, boot it up and go into your control panel device manager. Take a look at the video card. See what it says about the driver that's there (if any).

You can also go to bootdisk.com and get a WIN98 (or WIN ME) bootdisk. You'll have the option to start the computer w/ CDROM support.

Back