• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Me Please!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barret

Ok, I will start off by saying I just made a huge move to germany. In this move the movers really did a number on my computer. The box was really hurt, there were two un-identified screws rolling around in the bottum of my case, and my cd drive was incredibly lop-sided. That having been said...It started up normally and I began chatting with some friends back in the states. Once they logged off I realized I had no sound. It told me my "sound" (can't remember what it really was) Licenses were no longer valid. Well, thats no good, so I did a system restore.. But I put it back to far. Then I get a message when restarting: Windows did not boot normally please select one of the following:
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Last known good configuration (last known settings that worked)
Start windows normally

Well, I have a usb keyboard and could not pick any of them. But it automatically picks start windows normally after like 25 seconds...
But then the windows logo apears with the bar showing its loading...and then the whole thing starts over again...So i went out and got another keyboard and selected safe mode. Then i used system restore to set it back then...Then i set it (after getting the license nonsense again) back only a month. It worked fine untill I got the newest zone alarm update and hade to restart...Now its doing it again!!!! Anyone have any idea whats going on? I went to safe mode again and went to the error logs and it says something about something connected to the pc is not working...I think it could be my sound card but could this be causing this problem? :bang head I have tried everything i can think of and thats not much...I am looking to use my computer again tonight if possible (I am on my moms crappy little laptop right now)...I hope someone out there nows whats wrong...you guys know almost everything...
Oh its windows XP Professional by the way :cry:

no one has any ideas? dang. I will continue to check this until I am so tired I clapse, which won't be to much longer now...Movies can only keep one awake so long.. :(

Try totaslly uninstalling the sound card and remove it form the box and then reinstall it. Also I wonder if moving to Germany has anything to do with this. You are obviously logging onto the net from outside the US.

Z

once you uninstall the sound card files remove the card, make sure that you boot the system and see if its stable. Sometimes if you remove and install the drivers in the same boot you don't really get a clean removal.

Okay, I am headin to try that now. Thanks everyone for your replys.. Heres hoping *crosses fingers*
-Barret

Its utterly bazaar. I am having to do another system restore just to get the drivers off for the sound card..Anyone now whats going on? I didn't (stupidly) mention before that my video card was loose initially (way back when I first tried it over here) I got the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep-beep-beep signal for check video card. Could THIS have something to do with it? Someone PLEASE! I can't stand it any more...Am I going to have to do system restore every single time I restart my computer?
Oh, heres something wierd for you. After I did the "okay I am headin to try this..." post above when I got down there it worked..Started right up before I did anything..So I am suspicious and start windows media player. I hit play and BOOOOOOOMM: My computer restartes...What gives with that? Someone must know whats happening..Maybe they just haven't read this yet, but I pray to God they do soon...

I did yet another system restore so I could uninstall the drivers for the sound card and everything seems to be ok....SEEMS TO BE being the key phrase...I now suspect its the hd after that random restart after launching media player...I have it set up to do a scan for errors (and to automatically fix them!) after the next restart...Which I don't plan on doing, i am going to milk this and just use my computer for as long as possible...(I am on it right now :) ) Thanks everyone for your help and support (by support I mean at least posting :) )
-Barret

well i know with my old phillips videocard i could only use the drivers for 30 days, then i had to register it (which is pointless the registering cost more than the bloody friggin card) good thing i got rid of it ^_^. I highly doubt this is the case with your pc. throughout all these questions we got no system specs on your pc. that would be beneficial to know.

You have too many small symptoms and problems to diagnose remotely. Start the OS from scratch again. Format the hard drive or wipe and reformat the partition.
It's the least drastic test you can do at the moment.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to open your case and make sure all movable components are installed properly with proper cabling. Also there are only so many screws that can be used in your PC it would be in your best interest to make sure that you put them back where they go and ALSO check behind the motherboard and around the edges of the motherboard for other screws. If one screw makes your PCB short out to the case it will not only mess up your entire system but it could cause you to have to get a new one. Check around card slots also.
Hope this helps.

If this does not work then you should try the repartition and reformat but please look in the case first before you wind up with a dead PC.

Back