• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flow Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Hello all, I made my self a PVC Res aboug 1 1/2 months ago, and i think its to short allowing air in to the line, anyways if i wanted to make a larger one say 1 FT this time and like the two by a section of clear flex. I included a small professinal made design, basically the link shown in the picture is on a angle, but in real life the top of the new res with align with the bottom of the old res.

Thanks,
Archer

Attachments

• design.gif
    design.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 145
From what i read... He had a reservoir that was too short and it pulled air back into the system so he wants to build a taller one this time. The old reservoir will sit on top of the new one. Gravity will move water from the older to newer one then the pump will pull water from the bottom. Air will be trapped in the first res.

If thats right then...... well I dunno... it might work if the pressure drop in the bottom res + gravity is enough to pull water from the top one at a fast enough rate as to not cause a vacuum at the top of the bottom one.

But if it was pulling air with the same flow rate you had before with just the smaller one what makes you think it will change with that particular res? If its pulling the same amount of water from the top to bottom as it would directly from the top by itself then it would pull air into the bottom one.

Then again I am rather new at this so Im not totally sure but it seems logical to me. Either that or im so confused... and...... delirious.... yeah that's it.... delirious! *chuckles*

JT

Okay, I understand now. Yeah, you will get the same amount of flow from the old res into the new one as with just the old one. In essence, all you are doing is making one giant res out of two individual res's connected by some tubing. It's not the most convienant way of doing things. The air being drawn in the small res sounds like it's just a bad design. Archer, have you tried putting some kind of mesh (even a zip tie chain) into the old res? What this would do is catch some of the air and prevent a vortex from forming (the vortex will pull air into the line instead of allowing it to leave).

Sorry for the late reply but this is my first avaible time to read, and congrats Jtanczos for understanding my odd way of thinking. Yes bassically, i have two res and i would like to make a big one by having two. No I have not tried a mesh, what would the zip tie thing look like and how would it catch air, would a screen like off a screen door be similar?

Thanks all

I'm with Greenman, just build a new larger replacement, and K.I.S.S. your problem goodbye!

Orignally that was what i was going to do, but hey should put the old one to use some way, ill try both ways.

Yea, Here are some pictures of my old one, hopefully they will show up, im trying to use my ISP's web space (Charter) And don't know how much bandwidth ill get. Oh and in the first pic u see a T i added it to see what would happen to the air, and been running two days and it seems like there is no air going thought, cause i cant hear it in pump or see it.

resl.jpg

resc.jpg

Last edited:
Yea thats what i thought, I can take the cap off while its running, and it is making air bubles on the top, about 2-3mm wide, and its swirling in a clockwise motion. But do you think that T could have somthing to do with no more air? Possible a loose connection to a barb (never liked the L30's)?

greenman100 said:
possible loose conneciton

you don't need a t-line AND a res
:D why not, lol i know some ppl here do it, also if it fixes my prob im leaving it. Im going to do some more work on it when i get home, like taking out the T and trying with longer hose, ect.

Archer36 said:
...... and its swirling in a clockwise motion.........

The whirlpool effect could be drawing air from the top to the bottom. An effective way at stopping it is just to glue a vertical peice of plastic down one side. It should be able to slow the waters spinning enough to it doesnt draw air to the bottom.

JT

So Somthing similar to this? Or where do you think the plastic should be, and should it be like 1/4 to 1/2 inch sticking out? I do see how this could work and it would be great if i could implement it.

Attachments

• design2.gif
    design2.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 63
Ide do 1/2" personally. Might want to put it off center tho. Dividing the current directly in half creates a different kind of flow rather just just stopping it from spinning. You can try it tho.

I am actually going by what we use for the pool. Depending on the direction of the outlet it creates different currents that we use to clean it. Anything hanging on the side of the pool kills the circling effect. Ladder is usually the problem.

JT

yea, ill try with super glue, then epoxy for the final, but im thinking its either going to be about 1 inch to the left or right, lol possibly both.

Back