• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

performance increase with 1/2 ID over 3/8 ID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1/2 = 12.7mm

3/8 = 9.52mm

Not much of a performance increase... if you have an properly configured 3/8 you will have equal or better performance than a 1/2.

Not much of a performance increase... if you have an properly configured 3/8 you will have equal or better performance than a 1/2.
no you might get up to equal but you wont exceed it in a system wit h the exact same parts other than the sizes

Last edited:
I read a post a while back about Cathar switching to 3/8 on his new upcomming block... does anyone know why?

I am helping a friend build a WC setup and I was going to have him get either a Ehiem 1260, Danner Mag 3 or Swiftech MCP-600 and was not sure how performance would be effected with 3/8 tubing , since I use 1/2. do these pumps give heigh enough heads (around 10 feet head) to use 3/8 for its easier routing ability

nissmo300 said:
I read a post a while back about Cathar switching to 3/8 on his new upcomming block... does anyone know why?

The blocks will primarily be 1/2" based. I was just musing with respect to the block's performance at flow rates that are typical with 3/8" systems and a good pressured pump effectively meaning that there was minimal gains to be had with using the block in a 1/2" format. However I understand that most people do already have 1/2" systems so that's fine. It's just that if the block wanted to fit into a 3/8" system then it would be perfectly at home there, and this is something that I am considering doing with my own system one day.

either a Ehiem 1260, Danner Mag 3 or Swiftech MCP-600

I hope your finger slipped, cause I don't think the 1260(1060) is really what you want.

Its a behemoth, and dumps tons of heat in the water.

A 1250 is perhaps what you meant?

I'v tried various blocks including a WW and didnt see any difference between the two sizes at all. If there was a difference, then it was a small difference I couldn't detect. I would definitly use 1/2 inch with a weak pump though.

How much would it help in a 3/8ID system to have larger tubing or even a reservoir for the last tube to the pump inlet?

Back