• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just got some stuff for the first time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

I've been a long time reader of watercooling, but never did it. From the article of the guy that coiled copperwire around a huge window fan, to the bong coolers but never got into it. I got an INSANE deal on some stuff though, so here is going to be my first setup.

I have both these 2 water blocks, I do not know which one is better, time for some reading.
http://www.directron.com/cpu200.html
http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/super_cooling/maxxxpert/p2.htm

3 1'' square misc blocks.
bunch of tubing, dielectric grease, cheap silver thermal grease, fitting, barbs
120mm rad
100w pelt - I'm not gonna use this, I'm done with pelts for now, this is my 3rd
via aqua 1300 pump
small res

I'm not going to say what I paid but its a little more than one of the waterblocks costs, either way all I need is some fans and I'm set.

My setup is in my sig, it's a 1700+ i got from the forums that runs 2GHz on an old pep66 at stock voltage, so I want to see how much I will get.

I'm playing on just installing it starting tuesday this week. Mounting the rad in the front of my case and just using the waterblock on the cpu. My goal set is; distilled water, water wetter, 24 dry run. Eventually adding a relay and what not. What I need to know is what block is better? The lesser of the 2 will hopefully find its way to my ti4200 way down the line.

I cant wait :D so much fun stuff I can do with watercooling. I really want to have a bong/evaporator setup someday.

cyberey66 said:
What I need to know is what block is better?
You might wana ask someone more experenced with this than me, but if it were my blocks i would go for the second one over the CPU200 ive heard bad preformace outta that one, but hey you never know until you try. Also on a side note, are you thinking about a corrosion inhibtor/coolant? I tried just using Plane distilled water worked good at first then my water got all cloudy and stuff floating in it, even with a all copper setup.

...but if it were my blocks i would go for the second one over the CPU200...

I would agree. The first one looks less than optimal. But dig up some reviews before you make up your mind. Hell, just test em both and see which you like better

I tried just using Plane distilled water worked good at first then my water got all cloudy and stuff floating in it, even with a all copper setup.

Did you put any anti-bacterial/algae stuff in? Did you run some water through the rad before you filled the system?

Not saying that these would have fixed your problem, but it wouldn't hurt (not too much anyway).

Guderian said:
I would agree. The first one looks less than optimal. But dig up some reviews before you make up your mind. Hell, just test em both and see which you like better

Did you put any anti-bacterial/algae stuff in? Did you run some water through the rad before you filled the system?

Not saying that these would have fixed your problem, but it wouldn't hurt (not too much anyway).
No i did not use any Anti Bacterial, cause it started after a week of using the system, and i took it under a microscope and the guys here concluded it was not algae. Yes, I took everything apart after this started and rinsed with distilled and it came right back, dont know what it was, the Antifreze seemed to fix the probem.

I was hoping water wetter could be enough, i know it will stop corrosion. Do I have to use something to keep the bacteria/algae away?

Ive never used Water Wetter but i think they use it for stoping corrosion if u have a all CU setup. I think i repeat i think algae will grow adventually, but you can take care of that by going to the pet store and getting a pill type of thing that u can open and pour some into the system, can't remember the name though.

I'm just gonna play it by ear then. Wed will be my first day working on it. Hopefully I won't be to sad after my girlfriend leaves for college tuesday :'(. Setting this up will be something to help take my mind off her.

I have the stuff, I just need to get some 120mm fans, but I have 2 92mm I can use until then.

wc.jpg

Yup, this is just a simple kit though, I have 3 projects going now, and school is starting the 29th. I plan on just dremeling a place for the rad, and hooking it up as is. 24 dry run, and hopefully it will work. It's just a 120mm rad, copper pipes, al fins, and its by maxxpert. I checked some reviews from the main page, and it does look like the maxxpert block is a little better than the koolance. I'm trying to find info from people that mounted waterblocks on video cards. The koolance block is to big to use the holes on my gf4. I have to say the koolance block is sexy looking with it's gold plating.

Did the Maxxpert come with any hold down plate or anything? If not that could be tricky, you might have to get some of that Epoxy Thermal Paste by Artic Silver but its almost on there for life. Also I have never seen someone use that rad, tell us how it runs, most rads have the water run though thing channels by the fins insted to tubes.

It's in the dry run stage, I hope it stays that way. Man, the hard tubing is a pain to work with. My radiator is mounted on top of my case and I cut a square out for the air. Not the ideal location, high up for the water to flow, but I have no other space in my case, and since I cut that hug square out, im stuck. Hopefully it will still be dry tomorrow and it will work well. I just need to order 2 120mm fans, and hope my 92mm ones will do until then.

For water im just using 2 oz water wetter per quart of distilled water. Everything works fine as of now, just akward positioning, and the pump is very warm, the rad is actually warm from it. Just gonna cross my fingers for tomorrow. I'll post a pic then.

Oh well. Turned on my computer, it was on for about 3 secs then stopped. Checked my CPU, it was cooked. I guess its just the hold downs weren't on tight enough or something. Seemed like it cooked fast though, I just hope my mobo isnt dead. Just bought this setup from the forums too, its gonna be hard replacing a 1700+ that did up 2.2GHz for me and was running 2.0GHz on air 24/7. Sucks that it died from something stupid and not a leak. Now I have to undo all my work, drain my setup, check my mobo for anything obvious, and get a new cpu delievered before I go back to school sunday.

I might as well sell this watercooling setup. I have no idea what an equivalent amd cpu will cost me, I don't know what this setup is worth either.

Back