• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No more Kingston (Winbond) but Kingston (Hynix), should I go for it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pronoob

The Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 RAM is now using hynix chip rather than the winbond chip I was using b4, should I go for it? (or should I choose other)

pronoob said:
The Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 RAM is now using hynix chip rather than the winbond chip I was using b4, should I go for it? (or should I choose other)
Well Hynix is PC4000 in disguise, so if you are looking to run 1:1 go for it. Im running Hynix in my sig on an AXP.

u mean if i get Kingston PC3200 RAM with Hynix chip on it
it is actually a PC4000 RAM?
but it seems that u r running 3-4-4-11
which is way above the 2-2-2 range

Are you wanting to add this stick to your current setup or replace your 2x256 with the Hynix. If you are wanting to replace, then this Hynix would crank on up to PC4000 speeds, although it is 5 ns (DDR400) rated ram, it overclocks real well at relaxed timings therefore it has been USED in PC4000 ram, just like DDR333 (PC2700) Winbond bh-6 which was speed binned to run 200 was often used in PC3200 modules (Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2 Special, for example). It will not run well WITH your Winbond ram so if you are wanting to add vs replace, i would not suggest it.

pronoob said:
512 x 2 replace 256 x 2
mines CH-5 A_A

Yeah, if your going to replace, then the Hynix which run 250-265 or maybe more would work.

You should probably consider testing your cpu's max fsb by running your current set up at 3:2 memory timings to see where your cpu maxes out. If it will run in excess of 265-270, then this ram (Hynix bt-d43) would probably not be enough for you. You could then consider, depending on the speed, alternatives such as the Hynix D5 based Komusa PC4200 which consistently runs 280-285 at similar relaxed timings. First test your cpu then you will be in a better position to determine which ram will need to fully utilize your cpu without spending more for ram that you don't need.

Back