• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice need advice on RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kheb3350

Registered
Hi - just got my system running after some nasty viruses. Have installed Norton Internet Suite & spybot. Thought I would try 30 day free trial of Iolo's System Works 4.

However whenever I run any of their tools such as defragmenter everything slows down. It takes three times as long after clicking on start, to connect to the internet, to get the web pages to come up etc.

Also one of the System Works tools shows how much RAM you are using. It says the average is around 50-60 MB and this dramatically falls whenever I start something. The RAM recovery tool pops up quite often. There should be 128 MBs on this PC.

Do I not have enough RAM and need more. THis has a Pentium 4 processor and I think is quite a fast one so I'm wondering whether the system is currently imbalanced? Or is there something else going wrong? Things seem to slow at the moment. Expecially when installing, uninstalling programs, running system works and doing two things at the same time.

(tx for any help).

512mb of ram would be good, even better if you could hold on a 1 gig, even though you have p4 ram is must have

Yes, if you are running Windows XP, you BARELY have enough memory to run it somewhat efficiently - once you start running other programs, windows will start swapping memory around which leads to your computer running very slow. I suggest you move to 512MB - should be plenty of memory and will certainly speed up things.

lol...btw make sure you DO NOT get SDR...it sucks. XD Even with 384MB of PC133, I couldn't run AIM and more than 2 windows of Mozilla at once. :p I agree with mattspalace and meionm, 512MB-1GB (DDR! XD) is optimal, especially with win-xp.

If you could give all of your systems specs it would help also. Or if its a Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc - just post the model number and it will get us close enough.

mattspalace said:
If you could give all of your systems specs it would help also. Or if its a Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc - just post the model number and it will get us close enough.

Thankyou for all the replies. I had a feeling that I didn't have enought memory.

The PC was not made by a Dell and etc and was put together in a shop in Manila. I am now in London! and I don't know the exact specs - e.g. what make and type of RAM is currently connected.

Beyond finding out basic things like size of RAM, any ideas on how to find exactly what hardware is installed?

- Pentium 4 1500MHz, 128 MB RAM, Windows XP. That's all I know.

Last edited:
SimGuy said:
Humm... chances are pretty good it's a socket 423 & i850 combo.

Probably PC800 RDRAM (2x64 MB...)

I opened it up. The only thing you missed is that they are Samsungs :burn:

Glad to hear it! I just sold a similar system (P4 1300 Willie, Intel i850 mobo & 256 MB of RDRAM to a fellow), so I figured it would be configured similarly :)

128 MB of memory is really too little to fully utilize any computer to it's maximum extent these days, especially when running Windows XP.

You really have 2 options:

1) Upgrade to at least 512 MB. Chances are that your old i850 board has 4 RIMM slots, 2 of which are taken up by your current memory, and 2 CRIMM's that complete the memory circuit. E-Bay has matched pairs of 256 MB Samsung PC800 RDRAM for roughly $160.00 USD. That would put you up to 640 MB, which would really improve your multitasking response time and ability.

2) Tough it out until you get a new system, making sure to put at least 512 MB of memory into it. :)

My advice? $160.00 USD for 512 MB of PC800 RDRAM you can shove in and get a faster system is a little more economical than a whole new system :)

Back