• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to modify a Maze4GPU to fit a 6800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sklug

Greetings,

I've noticed many people saying that modifying a Maze4GPU to work on a 6800 board is a relatively easy mod, like just drilling an extra hole. Can anyone elaborate a bit on how they did it? Since the Maze4GPU installation uses all-thread bolts, and the holes in the block itself are threaded, is there some kind of tool being used to create a new threaded hole? Not much of a metal-worker here, in case this seems like a dumb question. Also, has anyone had any problem with the barbs clearing ramsinks?

Just trying to decide whether to modify my existing block or buy a new one.

Sklug

you just drill and extra hole next to the outer most mounting holes. its about 1-2 mm off. you need to use a tap to make the thread in the block. also, you need to widen then holes on the viddeo card itself, to allow the screw thread to go through it. use a 7/64 drill on the card.

Ack! Widen holes in the card!? Isn't anyone worried about drilling through traces? This is a BFG GT OC board btw.

Also, exactly what tap is needed for the threads? Not sure what size the threads are (it's currently mounted to my older 9800 Pro).

Just trying to get prepared.

Sklug

yes, you have to widen the holes, thats what i did. well you have to be very careful when you drill the holes. if you do it right, you wont hit any traces. i also have the BFG 6800 GT (blue one). ummm, im not sure what size tap, ill have to check when i get back to the shop. here are some pics of my video card.

64331622.jpg

64331612.jpg

64331652.jpg

Just wanted to post to say thanks for the assistance. I have successfully converted my Maze4 GPU to work on my Leadtek (coudln't get the BFG for a reasonable price anywhere) 6800GT. So far, have managed to overclock to 425/1.1, with no voltage or bios mods. All seems stable so far. Temps peak out at about 46C here in the late afternoon (about 28C ambient in the room). It seems to idle at about 42C at the same ambient. Raised my CPU temperature by 1C approximately. Not bad at all.

Right now am running without ramsinks. I have some on order though, as they do get a bit hot (not burning hot, but uncomfortably hot on my finger).

Sklug
P.S., the tap size is a 4-40 screw approximately. At least, that worked fine. Scariest part of the operation was widening the mounting holes ont he board, but it went just fine.

Back