• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My shroud Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Lets say I was to buy a single 120mm HC, now i have a '77 boniville so no worries. Now the whole point of a shroud is to make the air pressure great enough on the one side that it is forced though the fins, rather than blowing on them, (please verify). Now if someone was to make a shroud in a triagle shape, on the bottom side is the on core, the other two sides have a 120mm fan on it, would it make any preformace difference, or am i thinking to hard? Just somthing that hit my head that i wanted to see what you guys think.

Please tell me if im being two confusing, Thx

Thanks,
Archer

Don't stare at the picture to long or it will bug out your eyes and it will be all inverted and stuf, lol

Attachments

• design3.gif
    design3.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 259
Archer36 said:
Lets say I was to buy a single 120mm HC, now i have a '77 boniville so no worries. Now the whole point of a shroud is to make the air pressure great enough on the one side that it is forced though the fins, rather than blowing on them, (please verify). Now if someone was to make a shroud in a triagle shape, on the bottom side is the on core, the other two sides have a 120mm fan on it, would it make any preformace difference, or am i thinking to hard? Just somthing that hit my head that i wanted to see what you guys think.

Please tell me if im being two confusing, Thx

Thanks,
Archer

Don't stare at the picture to long or it will bug out your eyes and it will be all inverted and stuf, lol
Don't think it will help... Infact, it may be counter-productive if the fans aren't a matched pair. However, if you were to mount a counter-rotating fan on top of a normal fan, that WOULD help.

There would be an optimum angle ( between the fans that is) that if you went any higher your fans would counteract each other. Guessing it would be around 60 degrees or so (or fans at 30 degree angle to core)

You could run a baffle down the middle, from the apex.

But I can't imagine a simple setup like this that would beat the flat pair.

Now if you were trying to put two 120s on a rad that was too small, that might be a different story.

You would be increasing the cfm's not pressure. Maybe try the fans sucking out instead of blowing in? Like in a home A/C system. Might be easier that way. Blowing you would need the right angle so they wouldn't work against each other which would be kind of hard to acheive with a small rad.

Yea, lol i don't need it but it was interesting to me, and yes in my very first post it says "Lets say I was to buy a single 120mm HC..."

4give my ignorance and being outa topic, but wouldn't a simple scuare 1/2" deep shroud do the job? Just get the blades separated from the fins and create a volume of uniform pressure?

I'm not quite getting why the shape and dimenssions on a shroud r so important.(?)

pejcao said:
4give my ignorance and being outa topic, but wouldn't a simple scuare 1/2" deep shroud do the job? Just get the blades separated from the fins and create a volume of uniform pressure?

I'm not quite getting why the shape and dimenssions on a shroud r so important.(?)

1/2" deep isn't quite enough by my standards

also he was talking about installing 2 120mm fans where tehre's normally only one

Worth a try, definetly make them sucking. It has been shown that sandwhiched HCs dont perform much better than a single sucking so if you get an improvement over one fan then that is quiet an ackomplishment.

Back