• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S + Mobile owners..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slaya

Hey, if you have an Abit NF7-S and a AMD Athlon-XP Mobile Barton i'm wondering what your temperatures, watercooling components, and OC..

thanks a lot.

cpu: mobile 2600+
oc: 200x10 (2.0ghz) -will do some more later on
cpu temp idle: 33C
cpu temp load: ?
case temp: 22C

ambient: guessing its about 65C

Last edited:
on that note... what are the most reliable test methods? ive heard that the best range one can expect with the best method is about +/- 3 C.

is this simply a third party diode and assembly?

If you have an NF7-S, just forget about taking your temperatures seriously. If your overclock is Prime95 stable for 24 hours, then you're all set - NF7-S temperaures should be used as a guideline only (if even that :rolleyes: ).

After each reset on my system, my NF7-S will differ the load/idle temperatures by as much as 10 degrees celcius - although the spread remains constant. I'm using a modified D10 BIOS.

Your best bet, if you're serious about keeping an eye on your temperatures, is an inexpensive bay-mounted probe device. A Digidoc, or an Enermax panel will suit your needs just fine.

lol - point taken.

But, well, I'm pretty happy with mine, and it's a *lot* better than nothing at all - at least it's consistant in its readouts ;).

Seriously though, when you're used to seeing 15 degrees celcius load all the time, and then one day you fire up your rig and see 30 degrees celcius on boot, you know there's a problem. An irritating little alarm built into the probe even goes off to let you know that something is amiss :).

My probe has saved my peltiered 9800 from a fiery death at least twice - I'd say that's well worth the $15 it cost me - cheap insurance is better than no insurance (especially when Powerplant II plugs have a tendency to come loose and cause your pump to stop working).

also, I don't run anything better than a digidoc....but I don't claim to have accurate temps.

I've tested my probe out against a thermometer, and it seems to be pretty accurate as far as *air temperature* is concerned - we're dealing with an extremely minute difference. I think it's unfair to completely toss your probe temperatures because you know that there is a margin of error involved. The NF7-S probes and their legendary innaccuracy are one thing, a consistant external probe is another.

I know for certain that my probe is giving me an *idea* of where my hardware is sitting, and in that respect a probe is a very useful tool, especially for the watercooled/peltiered overclocker who wants to have a rough idea of how effective their cooling system is.

Noone can truly claim accurate temperatures given the factors involved - my probes aren't touching CPU or GPU cores directly for example. But in my books having a probe gives you leave to say "my processor/GPU idles at ~37 degrees celcius" - which is a lot better then "my processor/GPU feels very warm to the touch".

which is why you use a GM100

Which is why I *do* use a GM100 / hotglued the cheapo Powerplant II plugs nice and tight ;).

Back