• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Komusa Hyperam PC4200 VS. Geil Ultra PLatinum PC4400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquid_Cooled

would the Komusa overclocked to 275 perform just as well as the Geil at 275? at that speed, they both have the same timings 3448. so would either one of them be faster? the Komusa costs $258 while the Geil costs $309.

the biggest difference is that the geil chips are guarenteed to go 275 at a given voltage usually 2.7/2.8v. the komusa hyperram is not. with that said ive yet to see a set of hyperram(adata chips pc4200) that wont oc to 275.. as far as performance at a given speed ie 275,- you couldnt tell the difference. i guess u have to decide if 50.00 extra is worth it for guarenteed 275 over the hyperram that in all likelyhood (tho not guarenteed )will oc to 275.
also u might want to call up randy at komusa, he tests alot of the memory for the pc4200 and ask him to send u a set that will go 275.. he might charge u a little extra but u will know for sure...

I wonder how much further the Geil will go with more voltage? I bought some Geil PC3500 2-6-3-3 almost 2 years ago that needed 3.0v to run at its rated speed. Ever since then I've been gunshy about trusting Geil. But this PC4400 is the right price and it looks like DDR600 might be within reach if I crank it ip enough my my booster...

ChuckS said:
I wonder how much further the Geil will go with more voltage? I bought some Geil PC3500 2-6-3-3 almost 2 years ago that needed 3.0v to run at its rated speed. Ever since then I've been gunshy about trusting Geil. But this PC4400 is the right price and it looks like DDR600 might be within reach if I crank it ip enough my my booster...

it has it possibilities, as does any thing along the lines of hynix D5, but this is a rare occorance. i have ocz 4400 rated at 2.8vdimm, and i cannot reach dd600 w/ even 3.4vdimm(it is possible that im chipset limited....). i know that flapper has been trying for DDR600 for alwhile now(exept maybe w/ one 256 stick of simpletech pc4000, correct me if im wronge flapper:p), and has tested pc4400 and not got there. but this is not to say that it is not possible........

Jess1313 said:
it has it possibilities, as does any thing along the lines of hynix D5, but this is a rare occorance. i have ocz 4400 rated at 2.8vdimm, and i cannot reach dd600 w/ even 3.4vdimm(it is possible that im chipset limited....). i know that flapper has been trying for DDR600 for alwhile now(exept maybe w/ one 256 stick of simpletech pc4000, correct me if im wronge flapper:p), and has tested pc4400 and not got there. but this is not to say that it is not possible........

u are correct my friend..most of theses chips right now are some form of hynix ,usually at this time bt/ct d5. most need about 2.9v/3.0 volts to reach their limit.. hitting ddr 600 is indeed hard. i got some pc4400 shikaxram 2x256 which is supposed to be right up there with ocz and it stopped at about 290/292 at 3.0volts.it would run ddr600 with my ic7 but wasnt stable.. with the exception of the simpletech nitro stick (310 mhz) ive never been able to hit 300 mhz stable.. right now probably the best bet for ddr600 would be the ocz el pc4400..
adata has some ddr566 that they've released in japan and australia and i think europe. it uses the samsung tccd chips and its supposed to be crazy fast according to the guys at extreme systems.a couple guys have already put up screenies at like330/350 mhz. now that is fast....

flapperhead said:
it uses the samsung tccd chips and its supposed to be crazy fast according to the guys at extreme systems......

this still vastly amazes me, the TCCD is becoming a very flexable IC, it seems to be able to achive good timings for whatever clock you are able to run(ie 2-2-2@220, or 3-4-4-8@330) its just amazing that it could seem to be the best of both world, a "catch all" ram, that one could by and whatever bus you got stable at you could have good preformaning timings at your speed....

Back