• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MORE or FASTER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t_dub

I'm getting a new CPU, specs below. I'm unsure whether to get 2x256mb OCZ EB, or 2x512mb Samsung. The OCZ I'd hopefully be able to OC to 240~250 from what I've been told. The Samsung maybe 210 max. Which would be better.

I plan on playing Doom 3 quite a bit and some other games. Other then that I mainly burn DVDs, d/l Bit Torrent, and some photo editing and web publishing. And the obvious MSN and web surfing.

What would you guys recommend. I'm leaning towards the 2x256mb also because of the ease of upgrade to 1gig if need be later down the road.

Well, what is your budget? if you can afford to splurge a little now, you can save yourself money down the road, as EB has started to become a tad bit rare.

Well I live in Canada so I was hoping not much over $200 CDN... I'm already splurging as it is...

More is generally faster since you don't have to load as much data from the hard drive when playing. The game can sit in RAM.

I would vote for more as well. I'm starting to feel having only 512mb of RAM. It's kinda weird.

More. If you can find some cheap RAM like Crucial or Kingston with Micron chips, go for that over the Samsung. Like the others have said, though, you'll appreciate having a gig for gaming. It gets painful sometimes when you only have 512mb, and no amount of processor or RAM speed can make up for that.

Back