• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still Confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Hey all, after reading all the stickies im still confused on the Dividers I have a Giga-byte 8IK1100 Rev2 and when i set my FSB to 215 my memory frequnency drops to 173. insted of the normal 200. I know this has to do with my divider which is at 5:4 and i think my motherboard is setting that its self, if im only doing 15 over the defult, can't i Run in in 1:1? Or won't i see a differnce at 5:4? Or what is a good divider for a 2.8E? Also does anyone know what C.I.A. is in my bios setting its got modes like Crusie, Racing, Turbo, and Full throttle? im almost positive its not the Central Intelligence Agency (haha)

Archer36 said:
Hey all, after reading all the stickies im still confused on the Dividers I have a Giga-byte 8IK1100 Rev2 and when i set my FSB to 215 my memory frequnency drops to 173. insted of the normal 200. I know this has to do with my divider which is at 5:4 and i think my motherboard is setting that its self, if im only doing 15 over the defult, can't i Run in in 1:1? Or won't i see a differnce at 5:4? Or what is a good divider for a 2.8E? Also does anyone know what C.I.A. is in my bios setting its got modes like Crusie, Racing, Turbo, and Full throttle? im almost positive its not the Central Intelligence Agency (haha)

I'm not sure why your board is defaulting to 5:4, as that should be a setting that would normally have to be done by you and only after you entered the "Advanced" features in BIOS (by use of the "Ctrl/F1" key sequence). The only time you would want to use the divider is if you have your cpu set at a speed in excess of what your memory can run, for example, if you have PC3200, operating at 200MHz and you have a 2.4 P4 capable of running at 250. In that case, by setting the memory divider to 5:4 (200/4 = 50 x 5 = 250) you would be able to run the ram at 200, well within its capabilities and your proc at a higher speed. Try resetting the BIOS settings by removing your battery for 30 seconds (with power off) and then go into the BIOS upon restarting. Once at the main screen, do the key sequence referenced above and this should open up some additional choices within the individual screens, for example, you should now be able to set the ram timings instead of having to use the default settings. Memory frequency will be a choice in the "Frequency/Voltage Control" screen. You will need to manually change it to the "2.0" setting so that it will run your memory at 1:1 (200MHZ x 2 = DDR400, regardless of what you raise you fsb to. In the "Auto" setting, it will adjust your ratios to the closest value that keeps your ram at 200 or below as you raise your fsb, that is why you were getting your memory at 173 with your fsb at 215 (173/4 = 43 x 5 = 215). Using the "1.6" setting will

I would run at 1:1 until your memory gives out, then try to see if you can do better by using the divider. With a multiplier of 14 on that 2.8, you will probably be able to do close to 250 fsb or maybe more, using the 5:4 ratio would appear to be a viable alternative for that valueram, as it is unlikely to do 250.

With respect to CIA, which I can't remember what it stand for, is of course, Gigabyte's software overclocking feature, which by all accounts is no better or no worse than all of the other factory supplied options. It will, depending on your choices, boost your performance. Based on what I remember reading, the different choices result in incremental changes, with the highest setting being no more than about a 10% overclock. Most people blow this off and use manual settings.

Last edited:
Alright, Ill try the 2.0 thing i thought that was 1:1 as for CIA it tells on Giga-bytes site, basically it ups the CPU power when you open a application that requires a lot of power.

Back