• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston Value Ram Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amplifier

Right now I have pc3200 kingston value ram (512mb). I want to get another, should I get the same thing or go for something better? (geil, xms, hyper-x) Gaming machine, ram is not yet o/ced but the cpu is.

2100xp o/c to 2.09

it's not really the ram brand name that is good for overclocking, it's the chips on it. Tell us the chips on it and we can tell if its a good overclocker or not.

"2100xp o/c to 2.09"
What motherboard is it using?
What FSB and multiplier settings is it using to get that speed?
Is the CPU unlocked, or is it running 13x~160?

"... ram is not yet o/ced but the cpu is."
I ***-u-me you mean that the RAM is running below SPD spec (<DDR400), but still synchronous to the FSB (~160?).
If your CPU multiplier is locked (at x13?), are you intending to run the memory bus asynchronous to the FSB (x1.25 or x1.33), in order to achieve 205-210 memory speed?
If so, have you done that already to see if it's stable, or if it benefits from that configuration?

205-210 isn't much too ask from most PC3200, if the CPU and motherboard are capable.
If it is a dual-channel capable motherboard, or if you intend to get one, then obviously you'll want to purchase as exact a match to your existing dimm as possible. Why not? ... unless you've got anticipations of 250fsb in future hardware. If that's the case, only you can decide where to spend the next $80.

What's the plan?

jfk&g said:
"2100xp o/c to 2.09"
What motherboard is it using?
What FSB and multiplier settings is it using to get that speed?
Is the CPU unlocked, or is it running 13x~160?

"... ram is not yet o/ced but the cpu is."
I ***-u-me you mean that the RAM is running below SPD spec (<DDR400), but still synchronous to the FSB (~160?).
If your CPU multiplier is locked (at x13?), are you intending to run the memory bus asynchronous to the FSB (x1.25 or x1.33), in order to achieve 205-210 memory speed?
If so, have you done that already to see if it's stable, or if it benefits from that configuration?

205-210 isn't much too ask from most PC3200, if the CPU and motherboard are capable.
If it is a dual-channel capable motherboard, or if you intend to get one, then obviously you'll want to purchase as exact a match to your existing dimm as possible. Why not? ... unless you've got anticipations of 250fsb in future hardware. If that's the case, only you can decide where to spend the next $80.

What's the plan?

Well I just changed it up a little, right now @ 2.0ghz and I am now at 200x10. Also, wont it be a waste to get dual channel? I mean.. It's going to be 3200x2 but the cpu still will be only a little over 200fsb.

Dual-channel memory architecture is a feature supported by nF2-400Ultra motherboards. If that's the mobo chipset you already have, then it'd be to your benefit to enable it in BIOS (no charge!) once you acquire a second matching dimm.

edit:
You don't need to trash your first dimm and buy a DC set in order to enable DC in BIOS, if your mobo supports it. Your cas3 KVR is very compatible, and purchasing a second dimm will most likely work in DC, if your mobo supports it. What mobo are you using?

edit:
I just read your other posts. If you just tweaked your multiplier and FSB from ~160 to 200 for the first time, you've got a big smile on your face.

Where to spend resources? You can always spend more on exotic RAM, but if you're also thinking of a new AGP card, you'd be better off matching your existing dimm for $80, and allocating any additional funds toward a 9800Pro.

Last edited:
Sounds good, I guess the expensive ram isin't worth it when it comes down to my uses?

Any expensive (profitable) technology is in a constant state of revision. The newest P4 and A64 mobos are changing the demand for 220-240fsb low latency ram that your 462 mobo may or may not be capable of. The trend is toward 250-300fsb.

The worthiness of a particular upgrade is a relative thing. It depends on where you are to begin with, and the amount of resources you're willing to allocate. From what little information you've given, you're already at 2ghz, 200fsb, w/ 512mb of ddr400. That's not bad at all. $pending on low latency and dual-channel might get you another 5-15% performance, depending on ... lots of things. Since you're also in the market for a new video card, you'd probably benefit much more by following that path. I'd be curious to know what mobo and video card you have now, and what games you hope to optimize.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket ...

Sell the NF7-S (sorry, I know it's sweet) and the XP2100+.

A Chaintech VNF3-250 is $75 at newegg.
A Newcastle A64 2800+ is $145 at zipzoomfly.
OC the 2800+ to 2.25(9x250) with the memory at 5:4 (200), and go up from there.
A64 is single channel anyway.

Your 5700U is a weak link, but upgrading it would cost the same or more.

It seems that my main problem is the video card, so I guess I'll take that up first, then the cpu/mobo.

I could surely be wrong, but I think all the A64s are 200fsb.
The Newcastle cores are OCing to 2.4ghz pretty easily on the right mobos.
And many are only "half-locked", meaning the multipliers below default are adjustable.

Your cas3 PC3200 KVR is probably good for around 215/430.
You know your XP2100+ is good for 2.0ghz at 10x200.
To test your RAM, set your multiplier to 9x and raise your FSB until the memory tops out.
It probably won't reach 2.0ghz at 9x222.
You'll probably need to goose your DDR and IO voltages a tad to reach the higher bus speeds.
Feel your south bridge chip ... it's getting HOT!
What is your CPU voltage set at in BIOS to reach 2.0ghz?
What CPU cooler are you using?
What power supply are you using?

Last edited:
jfk&g, and amplifier: you guys should read the other posts--even a few down the list in this memory section.

amp: the nf7-s rocks. don't listen to jfk. your dual channel option is very wise. get the same kingston value series ram. you'll be great--you'd hope to get the same chips on 'em like dicecca says. so go buy the ram at your local comp/office store, look at the ram before you buy em to ck out what chips are in em. i'd look in the sunday paper and grab that ad for cheap ram like Bestbuy has out now. shop around and when you find the ram that matches, call your "pricematching" trump card that most companies let you do.

yes the A64 would rock, some. but what are you going to do when you want the next cpu for that board?? from what i read, the 939 socket is going to be more of the mainstay. but that board jfk recommends and you'd be stuck. keep the GREAT board you have. if you want another relatively cheap upgrade: go w/ the mobile Athlon XP, like the 2500+. you could easily crank it to 2.3 Ghz w/ a decent heatsink (volcano 12 for example).

also, that 2100+ would be prolly a T-bred core. getting a Barton core will help your performance much as well.

gl

Back