• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get 300FSB :( help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vexx

I'm having troubles getting 300FSB.. I just can't get stable.. My current Rig is in my sig.. This is so far what I try... 300FSB.. 3:2 Mem divider... 1.6v CPU
memory timmings both tight and then loose.. and I get blue screen errors or just lock ups.. no matter what I increase the voltage too.. I was thinking its the 3:2 divider.. i heard my board isn't very stable in it.. I tried 5:4 but my memory won't boot if i use 3.0 cas i have to use 2.5.. weird? Whats a good bios to try for my board im using a beta one

use the latest non beta bios...and some memory doesnt like 3:2 divider but u kan try using the max vdimm u have...or your cpu mayb be maxed out..hows your cooling?? cooling is a big factor in overclocking so you might look into that

o I have 6 case fans... a SLK-800U and a SF II.. for cooling I really don't think my cpu is maxed! it sounds like its something else..

My cpu isn't stable at 300 FSB either.... I can make it into Windows but that's about it. I have to crank the vcore up to 1.63V to get there too, so it's not worth it for me. I think that it's actually my cpu ( and possibly yours) b/c my ram isn't running overclocked and my temps aren't high at all.

It might be the ratios, but I'm not sure.

On the cpudatabase, most of the people at 300 FSB are at 1.65V or higher vcore so it may very well be the chip at that speed.

At those FSB speeds you need to improve northbridge cooling and maybe even slap a heatsink on the PLL chip (clock generator). Hitting 300 FSB is not easy. I never could get my 2.4C M0 stable at 300 FSB either.

Try bumping the agp/pci frequency....i heard that's how to get over the 300FSB wall. Since the board looses the lock above that and need to be set to the second highest......

Vflux

Vflux said:
Try bumping the agp/pci frequency....i heard that's how to get over the 300FSB wall. Since the board looses the lock above that and need to be set to the second highest......

Vflux
\

o man! i never thought of that... because i get a lot of blue screen errors involving my nvidia driver.. and sound card... sound like thast the problem?

and anuher thing the higher vcore u go especially on air cooling the more of a chance of your cpu degrading so be careful...1.6vcore would be the highest i would go

Sophisticated said:
and anuher thing the higher vcore u go especially on air cooling the more of a chance of your cpu degrading so be careful...1.6vcore would be the highest i would go

i only need a nother year out of the CPU :thup:

I'll try all this stuff when I get home from work and report back :) when I up the AGP/PCI freq should I bump up my AGP volts to 1.6?

At those FSB speeds you need to improve northbridge cooling and maybe even slap a heatsink on the PLL chip (clock generator)

I'll have to give that a try at some point... I have passive cooling on the northbridge right now and I don't know about the PLL chip.

So you're saying to unlock your PCI/AGP bus and set it to around 37/72 or does your board come unlocked at around 300?

Alot of boards get a bit 'flakey' as some people call it around 297+, from what ive heard, most people boot into windows at 295 and then clockgen the rest of the way, ofcourse this may not be your problem, i think some good nb cooling would help, or the 2.4c could just be maxed out. :) vcore, also give it 1.625 or 1.650 if you are ok with that, (actual read out.)

Good luck.

You say your CPU cant be maxed out because you have plently of cooling... thats wrong. You could stick a phase change unit on it and go further. 100% overclock on a CPU isnt easy, most dont do it... so expect it about maxed out.

~t0m

my chip runs forever at 300fsb, 1.65vcore, 1.62 actual under load (if memory serves). i can play hours of games, i can 3dM all i want, i can super pi, i can sandra, i can everything.....BUT pass prime. in the winter, if i open my window and keep my temps down to 42 load i make prime.

i run the oc in my sig. 5:4, 2-2-2-5. its quick.

Good tips in this thread, I'm going to try some of them out as soon as I socket my new 3.4E ES (D0 stepping).

I got this tip at xtremesystems with any of the P4 Asus boards,,,, Max the AGP VDDQ to 1.85V coz it shares the same voltage to the NB, then lock the AGP/PCI frequency above 66/33 to boot your system at 300FSB then if you want to crank it up some more you can use clockgen or setfsb through windows.....

Back