• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD & INTEL...Memory Timings or Mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lefty24

Registered
Well first look at my sig for system specs. I'm wondering what is better for AMD lower timings or high mhz. Could someone tell me what INTEL systems benefit more from. Thx...O yeah my timmings are 7-3-3-2.5 I've tried lowering the settings but everytime I do (5-2-2-2t) I get kicked out into windows during 3Dmark01 SE and 3Dmark2003. But I can run all my games, prime95, memtest86, etc. w/o any errors. So if anyone has any ideas on this that would be great.

intel setups benefit more from raw speed, rather then timings. I have heard that amd setups do benefit more from timings then intels do, but do not quote me on that.

AMD systems respond much better to timings than Intel systems. Since timings make less of a difference on an Intel, that means that the best way to increase bandwidth on an Intel is with high speeds. Both like high speeds and tight timings though.

Intel = timings.

Compression/Decompression, way faster. Games respond better. Higher benchs.

Running sisoft unbuffered test will let you see the ture performance of mb/s
eg. me sig mem = ~3600mb/s = excellent.

AMD = ?(for me)

From my own experience, and what ive seen from ALOT of members on the forums here, i can say that intel will fare best with high bandwidth and AMD with tighter timings (2-2-2-11 anyone :p)

But..if we would be able to crank the FSB of an AXP or A64 as much as we can with the P4, the situation would look different ;)

But..if we would be able to crank the FSB of an AXP or A64 as much as we can with the P4, the situation would look different
Exactly. AMD would do well with high bandwidth too, but most rigs can't push it. So we're left to tighten the timings all you can...unless you can have the best of both worlds. 240 @ 2-2-2-11 anyone? :D:D

Sjaak said:
From my own experience, and what ive seen from ALOT of members on the forums here, i can say that intel will fare best with high bandwidth and AMD with tighter timings (2-2-2-11 anyone :p)

But..if we would be able to crank the FSB of an AXP or A64 as much as we can with the P4, the situation would look different ;)

:eh?: You mean like this?

finally.jpg

........:D

No, no, no Sent, you don't understand. I mean TIGHT timings. Not loose (*cough* sloppy *cough*) timings. That's what my little AIM box at the bottom of your taskbar is trying to tell you.

Back