• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is having software firewall worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thenerd

i have nat on from my router... is this enough? i am really adamant on getting software firewall such as NIS, since i do a lot of internet related activities such as games/downloading. From what i've heard, hardware firewall is much better than software, is this true?

yes it is true the hardware firewall performs better then a software one and doesnt use your system, resources to do it

Software is fine for home users in most instances. But you will never see a bigger company using just a software firewall, usually they spend a little more and get a great harware firewall like a PIX or equivalent. Your router should be able to do a basic firewall or such, it depends on the brand I guess.

For my money, it's hardware firewall and ZoneAlarm, AdAware with Symantec AV on the desktop. They're all part of the solution; Firewall takes care of hacks, ZA takes care of trojans, SAV takes care of viri, and AdAware SE takes care of spyware.

Sheesh. Reading that over I start to sound paranoid. But in any case I wouldn't rely on just one thing to do it all.

but if i get something like norton firewall, it will give me bunch of unwarranted internet slow downs and other internet related problems

Back