• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu stuck to thermal pad!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadOnion

I recently purchased a new zalman hsf. My old hsf is the stock intel hsf. Yesterday i tried to remove it and i heard something pop out, when i finally take it out - the cpu is stuck to the heatsink! I havn't touched it for 2-3 years, since it shipped prebuilt. It's the stock intel hsf, with a thermal pad which is now stuck to the cpu very strongly. How should i get the processor off? i dont care about the pad or the heatsink. I've tried hair dryers and freezing and all kinds of stuff, but its still on there... very strongly. I've twisted,etc. What else can i do?

hmm, the thermal pad can somewhat be peeled off the hsf. Would it be easier if i peel it off, so its just the cpu stuck to the thermal pad then i try the freezer trick again or something else?

MadOnion said:
I recently purchased a new zalman hsf. My old hsf is the stock intel hsf. Yesterday i tried to remove it and i heard something pop out, when i finally take it out - the cpu is stuck to the heatsink! I havn't touched it for 2-3 years, since it shipped prebuilt. It's the stock intel hsf, with a thermal pad which is now stuck to the cpu very strongly. How should i get the processor off? i dont care about the pad or the heatsink. I've tried hair dryers and freezing and all kinds of stuff, but its still on there... very strongly. I've twisted,etc. What else can i do?

Hi, and welcome to the Forums!

I just did a quick search of the forums using the Advanced Search feature, with the words stuck thermal (together, not seperately), and got a good number of hits.

This is very common with the OEM sink, and happens to the best of us. It does scare the heck out of you the first time it happens.

As long as no pins broke, you should be fine. If any bent, you can easily straighten them back using a credit card or similar to gently (!!) push the back into line.

From what I read, heat seems to help more than cold to get it to come unstuck. The OEM pad melted a bit, forming a bond between the IHS and HSF. Heating it up should help to get it free.

Do a search using those two words in bold above, and you'll find a ton of people who it's happened to, and what they did to fix it. ;)

Cheers!

B.

First off, thanks mr.b. I looked through all the threads from the search, and i tried the hair dryer trick again but a bit differently. I warmed it up for a while, then i took a flat screwdriver and a credit card, used the card to protect the chip and hope the screwdriver in place. Then i gently pushed in, and pop - the cpu comes off! oh so much joy, i cant write how good it feels. Though, i also just noticed a broken pin... it remember reading it could be a critical pin ( = dead cpu ) or a pin that will still let the computer run fine right? going to go give it a try right now.

well now i start up the computer, everything powers on.. lights,fans,etc. but the monitor gives me "no signal", does this mean the cpu is damaged or is it just put in wrong?

The CPU may be damaged BUT you are not out of luck just yet. If the pin is broken it IS possible to have it soldered back onto the chip. I know a guy here who does this at a VERY resonable rate.

LINKY:www.motherboardrepair.com

This may help . . and I hope it does. Good luck

Z

thanks for the link zuzzz, i looked at that site and its great. Though after reading through it, it seems that maybe my mobo is fried?

according to that site:

"The most common symptoms of capacitor failure are:

1. Failure to boot .
2. Must attempt booting several times before machine will start.
3. Instability , especially when graphics are complex.
4. Machine boots with a pre-Coppermine Celeron but will not boot with a PIII Coppermine.
5. Bad odor wafts about the room and this time it wasn't you or the dog.
6. Bios health alarm (hi-low siren) at boot but PC health screen shows no reason for the alarm.
7. Fans spin up, power indicator lights up and nothing else happens"

im experiencing #7. Im pretty sure my cpu is dead, but could it be my motherboard?[

I'll probably send my proc to that guy, if he can add the pin back and it works..great! if it doesnt, damn.

**THIS ALSO HAPPENS with a dead--OR, with a NON inserted CPU **

Failure to post can either be a motherboard dead problem (caps, resistors, etc), a dead BIOS, or a dead CPU.

I would bet money that it's the CPU; sent it over to Homie, he will test it and if possible, resolder the pin.

If the pin is missing from the CPU more than likely the problem is CPU. That site does however do other componenet level work. I hope the site helps but as far as what is exactly wrong my guess is the missing pin from the CPU.

Z

I had the same problem on my CPU, I used a chisel and brute force. Then again I am running a 477 pin, socket 478 CPU :).

lol damn... well i guess i can send the cpu to him and see if that is the problem. I'm also pretty sure it is.

hmm.. "
**THIS ALSO HAPPENS with a dead--OR, with a NON inserted CPU **"

could it possible be inserted wrong? i put it in so the text is upside down and i was pretty sure it fit perfectly, then i put the lever down.

You should've use a thread or a dental floss to remove the cpu....Always worked for me.....oh well guess it's too late..........

lol, i just use a set of pliers (is that spelt right?? plyers???), grab onto the chip along the side of the chip, and pull....always seemed to be fine, never had any bent/broken pins!

BTW, there are many other things that cause your computer not to post other then CPU/MB/BIOS...but in this case, if you have a broken pin, it does look like its the CPU...and the CPU won't fit in if you try to put it in the wrong way...unless you force it in!

theres only one way it will fit in perfectly right? is that the same for every mobo? ie. mine has the words on the core upside down.

MadOnion said:
theres only one way it will fit in perfectly right? is that the same for every mobo? ie. mine has the words on the core upside down.

As long as it's socket478 it'll fit. BTW there's an arrow on the socket if you look closly to it... :D

Back